Metformin issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue56

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was put on Metformin a few years ago and experienced digestive problems which passed once I went onto slow release tablets. The Doctor has increased my metformin and once again I am getting digestive problems....stomach wind, nausea, loss of appetite and bloating. I remember it lasting weeks the first time but then once on the slow release it improved. However I am still on slow release and didnt think I would experience these difficulties again. What is the general experience? Is it true that eating little and often rather than three times a day is helpful? Or, do I just have to weather the storm as it will eventually pass?

For the vast majority the side effects seem to be short lived, or mild, or both.

Sorry you’ve had a recurrence of your gastric uspet.

Hopefully some of the folks on the forum who take the SR version will be along to share their experiences and tips.

An upward adjustment of doses of various meds does seem to sometimes trigger symptoms. Hope they are short lived for you and pass swiftly.

I was put on Metformin a few years ago and experienced digestive problems which passed once I went onto slow release tablets. The Doctor has increased my metformin and once again I am getting digestive problems....stomach wind, nausea, loss of appetite and bloating. I remember it lasting weeks the first time but then once on the slow release it improved. However I am still on slow release and didnt think I would experience these difficulties again. What is the general experience? Is it true that eating little and often rather than three times a day is helpful? Or, do I just have to weather the storm as it will eventually pass?
Been through the same when I first went on Metformin for insulin resistance ( I'm type 1, the resistance emerged about 10 years after becoming diabetic ) The ordinary version caused all the issues you mention and they wouldn't go away. Put onto SR, been on it without issue ever since. I'm on 1000mg twice daily.

Have they changed the brand of your Slow Release Metformin? Some people have found that the coating on specific brands of the slow release have upset their system and they need a specific brand prescribed.

The other option is to look at your diet to see if there is any further adjustment possible as that will often have a more powerful effect in reducing BG levels and HbA1c results than an increase in medication. Obviously, if you have stripped your carbohydrate intake down to a minimal level and still need to increase medication and your system doesn't settle down with the SR Metformin, then you need to discuss other options with your GP or nurse.

If you would like to give us an idea of the sort of things you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and evening meal, we could possibly make some suggestions for swaps which might make the increase in Metformin unnecessary.

Do you know what your most recent HbA1c result is as that would give us an idea of how your diabetes is currently responding to treatment. Obviously, if levels have gone dangerously high then medication is an important part of your diabetes management, but many people here have brought their HbA1c down from high levels through diet alone or diet and medication and then come off the medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back