Metformin increases hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I've had in interesting conversation with a GP. Who has come across people who's hba1c increased if there metform dose was to high. Has anyone ever come across this before.

I've never seen any research or work that shows this.

However, the reduction in hba1c does get smaller when the dose goes from 2000->2500.

I suspect that may be because people think that metformin is a magic bullet and will magically remove the carbs from the food they eat so they make no attempt to reduce their intake of carbohydrates or eve eat more so HbA1C increases.
I can see it will make little difference if they do not make those dietary changes as well.

Not with metformin but a recent urgent change to another medication that was stopped as I was reacting to it with uti’s has led to a big drop in blood sugars, just waiting on Hba1c to come back but also I am on metformin, going to be interesting to see if others have any experience of this.
Should add no diet changes due to allergies and multiple GI conditions and only other medication change was slight increase in my HRT.

a recent urgent change to another medication that was stopped as I was reacting to it with uti’s has led to a big drop in blood sugars, just waiting on Hba1c to come back

Illness and infection can raise BGs - I wonder if the repeated UTIs were close enough together to raise your average BGs overall?

Illness and infection can raise BGs - I wonder if the repeated UTIs were close enough together to raise your average BGs overall?
Hi Mike, in theory is possible, was on the drug combination for over 3 years and put on insulin for controlling things for six months last year until I ended up in hospital for DKA after another infection in my gallbladder and gut. I have to see the endocrinologist is a few weeks so his take on it is going to be interesting, was a flozin that was taken away, was on it to protect my heart from further complications (already known tachycardia) so is disappointing to have to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back