Metformin increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskydog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My doctor told me to increase my Metformin from 500mg to 1000mg , three days later I have been suffering with diarrhoea for the last 4 days , is this normal until my body adjusts? , I haven’t eaten any thing different to what I normally eat

Afraid that Yes, it is quite common. However, it's also common for it to settle down again when as you rightly imagine, your body gets used to the higher dose. If is does NOT settle down a bit after another week though - back to the docs you go.

My doctor told me to increase my Metformin from 500mg to 1000mg , three days later I have been suffering with diarrhoea for the last 4 days , is this normal until my body adjusts? , I haven’t eaten any thing different to what I normally eat
A few people find when they increase the dose they suffer those symptoms. Taking mid meal can help but if it does not settle down then ask for the slow release version as they can be tolerated better.
It is usual to increase the dose over a number of weeks, how long have you been taking them and have you also made dietary changes as that can be as important as metformin.

A few people find when they increase the dose they suffer those symptoms. Taking mid meal can help but if it does not settle down then ask for the slow release version as they can be tolerated better.
It is usual to increase the dose over a number of weeks, how long have you been taking them and have you also made dietary changes as that can be as important as metformin.
I have been taking the increase a fortnight ago and the diarrhoea started about 3 to 4 days later , and have cut out the high carb foods ( which I shouldn’t have been having )

I have been taking the increase a fortnight ago and the diarrhoea started about 3 to 4 days later , and have cut out the high carb foods ( which I shouldn’t have been having )
So if it has been going on for longer than a week then I should ask for the slow release version.
This link may give you some more ideas for low carb options. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Low carb is suggested as being no more than 130g per day.

Hope your tum settles down soon @Huskydog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back