Metformin in type 1s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It was mentioned in another thread, and if I am wrong, please feel to correct.

My understanding is that metformin is given to help insulin resistence, there fore if you are type one and on certain types of insulin you may need a little extra help.

Everyone is different so not all type 1s need metformin.

Hi Caroline

I was prescribed metformin a few years back when my basal insulin was changed. I was told that it is now common practice to prescribe it after a year on insulin as you can become resistant to the insulin you inject.

From what I have read on here though it does not seem to be common practice.

Also there are important issues such as stopping taking it if you are ill with ketones that people do not seem to be told. I was on it years before it was mentioned to me and its not on the Patient Information leaflet. The mechanic who fixes my car in type 1, he is on metformin and he hadn't been told to stop when ill either. The reason why you should stop when ill and producing ketones is that the ketones could be making the blood acidic and there is also a danger of lactic acidosis from the metformin.

When I was ill 6 weeks ago I remembered the conversataion with the Dr at clinic and stopped taking the tablets. I had spoken to 3 HCPs and none had told me/reminded me to stop. When I next spoke to the DSN she said I had done the right thing. When I saw my GP next I asked whether there was a way that the system would prompt the Dr to remind me/someone else if ill and prescribed say antibiotic. Apparently they are meant to educate us and then we are just expected to remember.....

Thanks for your reply Margie. I wasn't sure and knew someone would be along to help. I'm type 2 so it is less likely to affect me, but it is always good to know.

Most GPs seem to give low priority to education, which is why this forum is so good, we are able to help each other. Apart from one day in 2006 (not long after diagnosis) and the course I'm on now, there has been no education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back