Metformin impact on bowel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derby Simon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Looking for some advice if I can.
Back in Dec/Jan I went down with Salmonella and Campylobacter - no idea how - did not pin down where I got it from but those two bugs really messed up my bowels. In Feb / March I was diagnosed as being diabetic and put on Metformin - 500mg and I was warned - partly on here that Metformin can mess up your bowels somewhat. I experienced issues but to be honest I was not sure if it was still the end results of the bugs or the results of the Metformin. I posted in another thread some time ago that I felt my bowel was better with the 2nd pack of Metformin which was from a different manufacturer but things went off again when I got to my 3rd box which was back to the 1st manufacturer issues returned. My Doctor agreed to move me to the slow release version of Metformin to see if that improved matters but things are still not good. In the meantime I have tested positive for Campylobacter again (no idea where it is coming from or if I had previously actually thrown it off). They say I am clear again now but I have had to have some pretty invasive investigations relating to my bowel issues and I am waiting for results of that. What I guess I am struggling with is when people say Metformin can cause bowel issues - due to impacting on the flora in your gut what does that actually mean? Are we just talking a bit of diarrhoea or worse than that? am I just seeing my body reacting badly to the Metformin or am I looking at a different unconnected health issue that I might be confusing with Metformin reaction?
Sorry if this was a bit long to get to a pretty simple question!

Hi @Derby Simon (you must live near me). I don’t really have any answers or advice. Just wanted to say that living with stuff like this really sucks… If I could get rid of my entire digestive system i would! I’m sure you will get there in the end just keep pushing for answers/solutions.

Last edited:
Depending on how high your HbA1C is it might be worth asking your diabetic nurse of doctor if you can give the metformin a rest and go for some dietary changes or an alternative medication.
Campylobacter is a nasty infection and is often found in poultry, cooked meals that are not reheated properly or from deli counters where food handling is not tip top.
If you have had antibiotics then those can destroy your normal gut bacteria so having yoghurt with LIVE cultures can help restore the balance.

Hi. Metformin never has that much effect on BS so if even SR is giving problems I would suggest stopping it (talk to the GP). I'm lucky as I've been on SR for 20 years and no problems.

Hi. Metformin never has that much effect on BS so if even SR is giving problems I would suggest stopping it (talk to the GP). I'm lucky as I've been on SR for 20 years and no problems.
It's reduced my bs from 87 to 53 since July

It's reduced my bs from 87 to 53 since July
Has it?.... Or have you made dietary changes, which usually have a much greater impact than Metformin?

@Derby Simon

Really sorry to hear you are struggling with your digestive system being so upset.
When do you take the Metformin. I found taking it mid meal with a significant amount of food helped protect my stomach from too much disruption from it.
It sounds like your guts are really going through a rough time and it would be wise to support them as much as possible. I would suggest prebiotics once the antibiotics are finished and plenty of fibre, particularly soluble fibre.
I take a fibre supplement drink each morning as well as eating plenty of vegetables and seeds and cut right back on my carbs and my gut health at 58yrs old is the best it has been my whole life. Supporting your gut health is important for your whole body health and mental wellbeing.

I don't think any of us can specifically say if the Metformin is the problem, but if you feel it is, then discuss stopping it and/or trying alternative medication with your GP depending upon your HbA1c levels. Obviously if they are high then you need medication.

@Derby Simon

Really sorry to hear you are struggling with your digestive system being so upset.
When do you take the Metformin. I found taking it mid meal with a significant amount of food helped protect my stomach from too much disruption from it.
It sounds like your guts are really going through a rough time and it would be wise to support them as much as possible. I would suggest prebiotics once the antibiotics are finished and plenty of fibre, particularly soluble fibre.
I take a fibre supplement drink each morning as well as eating plenty of vegetables and seeds and cut right back on my carbs and my gut health at 58yrs old is the best it has been my whole life. Supporting your gut health is important for your whole body health and mental wellbeing.

I don't think any of us can specifically say if the Metformin is the problem, but if you feel it is, then discuss stopping it and/or trying alternative medication with your GP depending upon your HbA1c levels. Obviously if they are high then you need medication.
Soluble fibre ......porridge oats ?

I had no issues with Metformin.
It certainly makes a difference to BS.

Metformin *can* reduce BG, hba1c certainly by between 9-1.5% (12mmol/l) and also fasting BG according to research I've read (That's with a dose > 1500mg).

I've read studies that show Metformin has more effect than low carb diets (When there's no weight loss involved.) With non obese T2s, a low dose can also have an effect on hba1c and FBG.

Or put another way

"with baseline HbA1c >11%, the combination of metformin with a sulfonylurea, pioglitazone, or sitagliptin was associated with reduction in HbA1c from 11.6% to 6.0%"

Soluble fibre ......porridge oats ?
Oat bran rather than porridge oats which are high in carbs, but personally I prefer psyllium husk and chia seeds and they are pretty much carb free with the benefit of the Omega 3 fatty acids in the chia seeds.

I had to stop taking the Metformin and Atorvastatin tablets as I was dreadfully ill.
It was some years before I recovered from the worst effects. even though I only took them for 5 weeks.
At the second test I was, however, no longer diabetic in 80 days from diagnosis and have been in remission for years - I had one higher Hba1c test after Covid, but a year later - when I found out about it, it was back to normal.
I think that diet is far more likely to reduce BG than Metformin.

I had to stop taking the Metformin and Atorvastatin tablets as I was dreadfully ill.
It was some years before I recovered from the worst effects. even though I only took them for 5 weeks.
At the second test I was, however, no longer diabetic in 80 days from diagnosis and have been in remission for years - I had one higher Hba1c test after Covid, but a year later - when I found out about it, it was back to normal.
I think that diet is far more likely to reduce BG than Metformin.

So why are they giving us metformin ?

So why are they giving us metformin ?
It is cheap is the basic reason - and I think that it can help some people a bit - but then they usually pair it with statins, which can raise blood glucose levels.
I think it is because they really want to hand out pills in the hope they help, but they don't seem to engage their brain either before or after prescribing.

It’s used because it lowers blood sugar and helps reduce complications when combined with a change of lifestyle. Out of all the drugs used to treat T2 it has fewer side effects, no risk of hypos, and is generally more effective.

It is cheap is the basic reason - and I think that it can help some people a bit - but then they usually pair it with statins, which can raise blood glucose levels.
I think it is because they really want to hand out pills in the hope they help, but they don't seem to engage their brain either before or after prescribing.
It reduced my hbac level from 87 to 53

I made some diet and lifestyle changes but even so I am sticking with it if I can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back