Metformin holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone ever take a Metformin holiday?
ie. Stop taking for a week or two.

Why would you? Your blood sugars will likely get slightly worse and any side effects may return as you restart taking it and build up to the full dose again

I binned the Metformin and Atorvastatin coming up for 5 years ago. Best decision I ever made. Saved my life.

Why?
Your GP might say you can do it if your hba1c is low.
If you are on a high dose it might cause blood sugar to rise if you stop it.

Why would you? Your blood sugars will likely get slightly worse and any side effects may return as you restart taking it and build up to the full dose again
I totally agree with @Lucyr

I stopped taking it for just under a week recently because we had a number of family events and I was worried about having consequences if I overindulged!
Not a good idea for 3 reasons… I found that nasty side effects still happened after eating processed foods, my blood sugar levels were up several days later, and I found that going straight back on to 1500mg of metformin had dire effects too! All in all not successful, and I wouldn’t repeat it or recommend it to anyone!

Think it’s made me realise that I’m now in a long term relationship with metformin!

How has Metformin been working for you? What have your recent results been like (do you know your most recent HbA1c).

What is making you want to take a break from Metformin? Is it just the regular taking of a medication? Are you not seeing much positive effect from it? Or are you experiencing side effects of some kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back