Metformin for prediabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfate

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
A colleague has been prediabetic for 5 years and her BS were up and down. She asked her GP if she could go on to Metformin to stabilise her blood sugar and her GP agreed. She told me that she now eats what she likes and her blood sugars stay normal. I told her that I have managed to reduce my hba1c by diet but its a constant thing and she replied that she couldn't do that as life would be miserable and its better for her body organs to have a consistent BS. Is this something I should ask my GP about? Thanks all

Unfortunately I suspect that sooner or later your colleague is in for disappointment. The medication alone (particularly Metformin, as it's effect is fairly limited) will not keep her BG levels in check forever and this is part of the reason why many people need increasingly stronger medication and why diabetes is considered progressive by many medical professionals.

I believe Metformin in prediabetics can slow down the development of diabetes, but the lifestyle changes are still required - losing weight, improved diet, etc. Most people with prediabetes who take Metformin end up developing diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back