Metformin for Heart Protection - Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallycorker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've just been to our local diabetes support group and a lady - Type 2 diabetic - there was asking if anyone could tell her why her doctor was trying to put her on Metformin - apparently for heart protection.

Apparently, her HbA1c is 5.5%.

Nobody could help her. Has anyone on this forum any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is if the diabetes is contorlled then it reduces the risk of heart problems, but the best person to ask is the doctor or diabetes care team.

I also find it pays to read the leaflet that comes withthe pills.

Dear Wallycorker,

I have read that Metformin may have a protective effect on the cardiovascular system independant of its effect on blood sugars but it was not backed by quoting any clinical trials so until I can find if indeed there has been a trial I remain unconvinced.

Regards Dodger

Hi Wallycorker

I've had a quick scan of some journals and did spot a review article published last year in the journal 'Archives of International Medicine'. The authors report on a review and data analysis they did of other journal articles - that contained controlled trial data for diabetic drugs and included information on cardiovascular events. They concluded that, when compared with other oral diabetic agents and placebo, metformin was 'moderately protective' against cardiovascular events. However, data appears rather weak and they themselves say that there is a lack of power in the data to draw firm conclusions - and that better studies are required.

Ali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back