Metformin extended release dose problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

artdecogran

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’m recently diagnosed as type 2, and have been prescribed extended release Metformin 500 gms.
My doctor told me to take 1 per day for a week, then 2 a day, then 3 a day etc.
The leaflet in the box and certain diabetic websites say take 1 a day with evening meal only and only increase if needed.
I’m on day four of taking it with evening meal only and it has no effect at all.
I’ve been very low carb dieting for a month would this have any effect at all?
I’m unable to see the diabetic nurse until 16 August so I would really appreciate your opinions please.
Thanks in advance.

It takes a while to build up in your system, you would not necessarily see immediate effect. It does not act directly on the food you eat but helps the body use the insulin it is producing more efffectively.
How do you know it is not having an effect.
It is much more likely that a low carb regime will be effective at reducing your blood glucose. How many grams of carb are you having per day or per meal? because you should be noticing some difference due to reducing carbs.

It takes a while to build up in your system, you would not necessarily see immediate effect. It does not act directly on the food you eat but helps the body use the insulin it is producing more efffectively.
How do you know it is not having an effect.
It is much more likely that a low carb regime will be effective at reducing your blood glucose. How many grams of carb are you having per day or per meal? because you should be noticing some difference due to reducing carbs.
Hi, thank you so much for replying. I’m eating about 50 gms of carbs and my bg has reduced. However it hasn’t changed in the last four days. Perhaps I’m just impatient, I thought I would be normal by now . (I did a smiley face but it doesn’t work).

Hi, thank you so much for replying. I’m eating about 50 gms of carbs and my bg has reduced. However it hasn’t changed in the last four days. Perhaps I’m just impatient, I thought I would be normal by now . (I did a smiley face but it doesn’t work).
How quickly you will get to 'normal' HbA1C depends on your starting point and how your body responds to the dietary changes. It is better to reduce blood glucose gradually as you are less likely to get issues with your eyes and nerves as the body has to adapt to lower blood glucose. I started at 50mmol/mol and reduced to 42mmol/mol in 3 months by adopting 70g carb per day no meds but suffered eye issues for several months.
Are you home monitoring so you can see how you are tolerating the carbs. You are implying it is only a few weeks that you have been doing the low carb regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back