Metformin Dose increased & Carb query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribenababy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

I went to the GP yesterday and my Metformin has increased form 1 x500mg per day to 2 for the next 2 weeks and then up to 3 thereafter. I havent had any real side effects (well noticeable anyway) apart from extreme tiredness but I am not sure if that is the Metformin or the blood sugar (or the fact that I hear foxes outside the house crying and screeching every night which wake me up).

Question on the Metformin - how many people have lost weight when they have been taking 3 or more per day?

I am struggling to get my head around the carb issue. I ordered to books one on carb counting and one of glycaemic load (both still to arrive) so until they do I have just been cutting down portion sizes. Does anyone know if brown soda bread is ok to eat?

Thanks

Hi Ribenababy nice to hear from you , i am on 3 met a day and have been since Nov last year, i cant say i have lost no weight through the pills as im now on byetta but when i was on the met alone i lost no weight x

Sorry I cant help on your carb queary.

I started in two Metformin then increased to 3, I have lost weight but thats probably because I'm now eating no fat or sugar although my appetite has decreased from the medication I'm sure. I was diagnosed three weeks ago and have lost half a stone.

I just reduced my diet down to a few things and am gradually adding in new stuff and self testing to see what it does. I saw a dietician a few days ago who said my diet was perfect but I didn't have to be quite so strict..I haven't bothered with Carb Counting or GI although I have a diabetes cookbook and diet sheet that I'm using and I feel SO MUCH better now...actually AWAKE. I can't remember feeling AWAKE for years.
When were you diagnosed? Take it slowly or it can be overwhelming

I have been on 6x500 Metformin for years and have never lst weight because if them I'm aftraid. The only way to lose weight is with will power I think and I have had a lot of trouble with that! Wish they could prescibe it!

I was told that metformin is the only tablet form of tratment avaible to T2s which won't make you put on weight - I don't believe they claim it will do the reverse and make you lose it. I have been on Byetta now for about 9 months in addition to the metformin and that works in a different way and helps you to lose weight by changing the way you digest your food, Apart from an initial drop in weight due to the "shock" to your system - some people suffer with nausea and go off their foods for the first few weeks, Byetta makes you feel fuller for longer but again, you have to exercise restraint and in my case I found some adjustments to the types of foods I eat (eg carbs) did wonders for my sugar levels. The weight loss is taking a lot more effort I'm afraid but I am much more in control now that my BS levels are sorted.

HTH🙂

Metformin in of itself is weight neutral unlike some other meds like glitazide(and other sulfs) and pioglitazone for example. However I know from my own experience high glucose makes me feel hungry when I actually am not so I actually lost some weight when I was on metformin alone. Byetta and victoza are both associated with weight loss BUT it doesnt work for everyone, many will get a good increase in glucose control I know byetta at first was like a wonder drug to me but only about 25% of people on byetta lose a significant amount of weight.

Weightloss for diabetics is the same as for other people you need to change your diet and increase your physical activity, however there are a few weight loss meds. There is one which blocks the absorption of fats in the gut orlistat, however if you are low carbing ofc this wont really work for you. There are meds which also block carbs in the gut but they arent prescribed often and are then dx for diabetic control rather than weight loss. There is also reductil but it has currently been suspended from sale due to concerns about cardiovascualar events and stokes.

Byetta and victoza are both associated with weight loss BUT it doesnt work for everyone, many will get a good increase in glucose control I know byetta at first was like a wonder drug to me but only about 25% of people on byetta lose a significant amount of weight.
nice to know im in a small minority then .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back