Metformin and illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam98

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I have type 1 and started metformin earlier this year to help with my insulin resistance whilst I try and lose weight.

I have a cold or flu and am not sure if it's safe to take metformin whilst ill as I keep finding contradicting advice. Do I need to stop taking metformin when ill?

Thank you

If it was a sickness and diarrhoea bug then you might be better stopping the metformin since you might not be able to eat much to take the tablets and vomiting them back up could perhaps also infame your esophagus and generally upset your digestive system more.
If it is a cold or flu which isn't impacting your digestive system or ability to eat, then you should be OK to continue taking it. The important thing is to take it with food to protect your stomach so as long as you can eat OK, it should be fine to keep taking them. Are you seeing any improvement in insulin resistance so far from taking them?

If it was a sickness and diarrhoea bug then you might be better stopping the metformin since you might not be able to eat much to take the tablets and vomiting them back up could perhaps also infame your esophagus and generally upset your digestive system more.
If it is a cold or flu which isn't impacting your digestive system or ability to eat, then you should be OK to continue taking it. The important thing is to take it with food to protect your stomach so as long as you can eat OK, it should be fine to keep taking them. Are you seeing any improvement in insulin resistance so far from taking them?
Thank you.

Yes I have seen an improvement and I'm still trying to get my insulin correct with it.

Once I sort that out it should be better.

Hi,

I have type 1 and started metformin earlier this year to help with my insulin resistance whilst I try and lose weight.

I have a cold or flu and am not sure if it's safe to take metformin whilst ill as I keep finding contradicting advice. Do I need to stop taking metformin when ill?

Thank you
The leaflet will explain when to stop them. You don’t stop them for a cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back