Metformin and dizziness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paschal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello. Just wondering if anyone else taking Metformin has the side effect of dizziness and light-headedness? Been on it for over a week. Low dose even though my GP wants to increase it gradually. I can barely function and feel miserable. My blood test reading was 52. Just diagnosed. I have modified my diet by eating more sensibly. I've always had a problem with periodic dizziness without ever getting a definitive diagnosis but Metformin has thrown it into chaos. Any feedback would be much appreciate. Thank you.

You're not on any blood pressure reduction medication, are you?
I found that when I was taking Ramipril, when I got up from a chair (say) I would immediately collapse on the floor, but fortunately recover immediately.
I was put on another blood pressure medication!

Thank you. I will.
If you can't speak to them tomorrow then I don't thing it would do no harm not to take your tablet and see if it makes a difference, it may take a couple of days to work out of your system.
Sometimes when people reduce their carb intake significantly in one go especially if they have had a very high carb intake they can get what is termed keto flu, headaches etc usually caused by dehydration as people tend to lose fluids as the initial weight loss is fluid.
But when you speak to them it may be they will be agreeable to you giving the dietary changes a shot or 3 months as your level is not that high but still need to be taken seriously.

Hi. Thanks for the ideas. I have reduced my carb intake and will continue working on a further reduction. Maybe it's a reaction to carb deprivation but I doubt it. I asked my GP about trying the dietary changes and abstaining from the meds for a few months but he won't hear of it. I had 4 stents put in my heart a few years ago so he reckons I'm too compromised not take the meds for my diabetes. Trust my luck to react badly to Metformin! Thank you again.

You're not on any blood pressure reduction medication, are you?
I found that when I was taking Ramipril, when I got up from a chair (say) I would immediately collapse on the floor, but fortunately recover immediately.
I was put on another blood pressure medication!

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am on Ramipril. I've been on it for years without any side effects. I tolerate it very well. I think it's the Metformin which has thrown me for six! Glad you are well after changing to another blood pressure med.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back