Metformin/Amlodipine compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Firstly, I was diagnosed about six years ago with T2 diabetes and mildly high BP. I was put on Metformin and Amlodipine and am pleased to say both conditions are well under control, with no side effects.
I was speaking to a friend a few days ago, who was recently diagnosed with T2. He was put on Metformin which he started a week or so ago. He was already taking Amlodipine over the last ten years. After his first two Metformin tablets he experienced worryingly severe dizziness and lightheadedness.
He and his family are angry that he had been put on, according to them, a known incompatible combination of medicines. Based on my own experience, I doubted their claim and feel his problem might well lie elsewhere. Does anyone else have any experience, good or bad, of this combination of medications.?

Firstly, I was diagnosed about six years ago with T2 diabetes and mildly high BP. I was put on Metformin and Amlodipine and am pleased to say both conditions are well under control, with no side effects.
I was speaking to a friend a few days ago, who was recently diagnosed with T2. He was put on Metformin which he started a week or so ago. He was already taking Amlodipine over the last ten years. After his first two Metformin tablets he experienced worryingly severe dizziness and lightheadedness.
He and his family are angry that he had been put on, according to them, a known incompatible combination of medicines. Based on my own experience, I doubted their claim and feel his problem might well lie elsewhere. Does anyone else have any experience, good or bad, of this combination of medications.?
This is from webmd drug interaction checker.

MONITOR CLOSELY​

Significant interaction possible (monitoring by your doctor required).

Amlodipine + Metformin​

Amlodipine decreases effects of Metformin by opposing drug effects.
Additional Information: This combination reduces the effect of metformin.

Sounds a bit unlikely to cause the symptoms experienced. But worth mentioning to the GP

This is from webmd drug interaction checker.

MONITOR CLOSELY​

Significant interaction possible (monitoring by your doctor required).

Amlodipine + Metformin​

Amlodipine decreases effects of Metformin by opposing drug effects.
Additional Information: This combination reduces the effect of metformin.

Sounds a bit unlikely to cause the symptoms experienced. But worth mentioning to the GP
Given the highlighted sentence, I’m a bit surprised that GPs prescribe this combination. Having said that, I don’t think it has affected my situation.

I have been taking both Metformin and Amlodipine for 4 years with none of the side effects you mentioned. But I suspect every Type 2 diabetic gets shoved on Metformin as the drug of choice, with no checking for compatibility with other drugs. I agree with Leadinglights - to check with the GP.

I estimate that approx 5 gadzillion people world wide are taking Met + Amlodipine. It's really really common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back