Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

teapot8910

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
:confused:

Just done my morning finger prick test to get a result of 18.3!!! No cold/flu symptoms so tried my old meter which came up with 16.5

Tried again on my contour meter and it now says 12.4...

CONFUSED.COM

Did you wash your hands? Sometimes stuff on your hands, even in minute quantities can affect this. There is also meter accuracy to take into account. Some are accurate and some are not.

Tom

Hi Tom

I'd just got out of the shower so my hands were clean, wondering if it could be the shower gel but it's never affected a reading like that before :confused:

My old meter is a freestyle one but the new one is a bayer contour

x

Have you been eating or doing anything out of your normal routine? That some times has an effect on the readings.

Hi hun might be worth doing a test with the control solution...

:confused:

Just done my morning finger prick test to get a result of 18.3!!! No cold/flu symptoms so tried my old meter which came up with 16.5

Tried again on my contour meter and it now says 12.4...

CONFUSED.COM

Often the symptom's of a cold or illness will come after a unexpected high bg reading, last week I woke at 5 in the morning with a meter reading of 14.8, couldn't think why this was so but by 10 O'clock I had a upset stomach. Anyway, hope it doesn't lead to anything and you feel better now!

Meters have a plus or minus operation of 10%

John.

I sent off for the control fluids for my Optium, expecting it to give a fixed result like 5.5 but the 2 fluids (Hi and Lo) have ranges of several mmol/l within which the meter can be ok.

Didn't really fill me with confidence.

I suspect the 10% could drift a bit after time John. Could do with a Which style report on them.

Rob

What shower gel/soap are you using?

We've been told not to use any fruity soaps, as it might have fructose in it. 😱

I hate it when that happens. That why to make myself psychologically content, I only use one meter.

But once I remember checking and then checking again 20 seconds later. The reult went up by 1.5 I think.

I've done similar.

I felt low, tested at 5.x, wasn't sure so tested again. 2.x 😱

Not sure what can affect the result, but it does make you wonder how accurate some of the mid-range tests are, when you have a lack of symptoms to guide you.

Interesting about the fructose. I have gone for fruity ones. Currently a tea-tree/mint type one I think and anti-bac hand soap. Hmmm. So many hazards out there to trip us up! 🙄

Rob

Meters by law are allowed to be out by up to 20%. I often get different results in different fingers when I test - I always trust the lowest results as there are lots of things that can push a BG result up (eg something on your hands) but not that many that will lower it.

Thanks for all the replies 🙂

I did my before lunch test and it was 8.5 so think it must have been the shower gel but still confused how it affected both meters in a matter of seconds.

Used Sainsburys own Coconut shower gel, never affected my readings like that before but I did test within an hour of using it..

:confused::confused:

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back