Meters that also read keytones

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
anyone have one of these my gp uses one to do keytones when i see him. are they good? expensive? any experiences recommendations im tired of peeing on a stick so to speak :D
thankyou
gail

I believe the optimum xceed is the only home meter that tests for blood ketones. A lot of people prefer to use a blood test as it's 'real time' information,the urine tests are an hour or two behind what's in your blood.
Your dsn or doctor should be able to give or prescribe you one. Given that you have problems with you're bg levels at the moment I'd have thought they'd be keen for you to have one.

I use the exceed or however its spelt 🙂
I am colourblind so the strips are no use to me at all.

I use Xceed to, i love it , with its little light.
Also some of the strips are 3 seconds, not ketone ones they are 30 seconds and need a huge amount of blood dropped onto it, rather than the normal ones that suck up a tiny amount.
xx

thanks guys am going to do some research into this meter will buy it myself if gp willing to prescrible the strips hes generally a darling about things like that. im very lucky in my gp hes done a lot for me nothing seems to much for him and believe me i have acted like a cow when mentally ill
cheers
gail

I use Xceed to, i love it , with its little light.
Also some of the strips are 3 seconds, not ketone ones they are 30 seconds and need a huge amount of blood dropped onto it, rather than the normal ones that suck up a tiny amount.
xx

With the xceed the ketone readings take 10 seconds, not 30 🙂

i use a boots own meter, im not sure if this is the same as exceed but on mine if your levels are 16.7 or higher KEYTONES flashes on the screen, im not sure if thats what everyones means by a meter testing for keytones though, sorry im not much help. i use optium plus strips for it and use abbott thin lancets. the meters are on offer in boots now for just over a fiver.

i use a boots own meter, im not sure if this is the same as exceed but on mine if your levels are 16.7 or higher KEYTONES flashes on the screen, im not sure if thats what everyones means by a meter testing for keytones though, sorry im not much help. i use optium plus strips for it and use abbott thin lancets. the meters are on offer in boots now for just over a fiver.

Which machine is that? I would presume it's a warning to test for ketones especially if you get it EVERY time you get 16.7 or above, not an actual reading to say you have them.

The xceed meter it gives you a reading of how high the ketones are, much like a blood glucose meter reads for glucose. My DSN advises me blood ketone tests are much better and way more accurate.

thanks guys am going to do some research into this meter will buy it myself if gp willing to prescrible the strips hes generally a darling about things like that. im very lucky in my gp hes done a lot for me nothing seems to much for him and believe me i have acted like a cow when mentally ill
cheers
gail

Apparently the strips are expensive for the xceed meter, but as my DSN pointed out - they prescribe 10 and they're good for up to 2 years, and are kept individually wrapped. With the urine ones, they're only good for 3 months after opening the pot, so you're going to be costing them with a prescription for urine ones every 3 months.

I'm lucky that I don't go hugely high all that often, so I predict those 10 strips will see me out until the end of the year, unless something crazy happens.

Gail - due to being given the wrong prescription a number of times, I have a stash of strips which I will not get through before the expiry date. I can send you some if you want.

Which machine is that? I would presume it's a warning to test for ketones especially if you get it EVERY time you get 16.7 or above, not an actual reading to say you have them.

The xceed meter it gives you a reading of how high the ketones are, much like a blood glucose meter reads for glucose. My DSN advises me blood ketone tests are much better and way more accurate.

i just checked the intructions on my meter an yes it is just a warning to test for keytones not an actual reading to say you have them. sorry about that, i wasnt alot of help 😱🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back