Meter to mesure keytones

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
When ever i go to my gp he always uses a meter to measure my keytones instead of strips to test urine. Wondered if these meters were available to buy at all as would like to get one, any idea how much they cost where i could get one etc
cheers

Hi Gail,
the abbot / medisense Optium Exceed meter will test your BG and can also test for keytones.
It uses different strips to test for keytones, so you would need to get your doctor to prescribe both types of test strip.

Keith.

Hi Gail,
the abbot / medisense Optium Exceed meter will test your BG and can also test for keytones.
It uses different strips to test for keytones, so you would need to get your doctor to prescribe both types of test strip.

Keith.

Just a warning, some GP's are tighter than a gnat's chuff about prescribing normal test strips, let alone these special ones. Just stand your ground and fight for it. I won't blame you if you slap a few secretaries to get what you want! I've had to do that on regular occaisions!

It's very difficult to get hold of ketones strips...I had one heck of a fight getting hold of them. Wouldn't look back now though.

If your doctor says no because of a, b or c tell him that you want them. Don't take no for an answer

I wanted some of the Optium Xceed meters for our local support group. So I rang the company and I blagged one free from them and then I rang again and asked for the local reps name and he gave me 15 free meters and sheets to give to the GP's with the pip codes etc .

Your GP should not say no. If he does then stand your ground and keep fighting. No-one should be using the rubbish wee sticks anymore.

No-one should be using the rubbish wee sticks anymore.

I'm somewhat attached to my rubbish old pee sticks for some reason. Part of my own method for treating ketones is sink five pints of water as rapidly as possible. Wee sticks are somewhat preferable in that situation to blood stuff. That said, I do like the idea of the Optimum Exceed meter being able to do that. Makes life a little bit easier. I only use the wee sticks when I'm at home or in halls. I've a feeling they may get a use or two when I go live with my pump.

the old meter is going to be discontinued look in the abbot website they have anew one in fancy colours

A new one in fancy colours? does it still take the old strips?
I got mine free from the clinic they usuallly have loads just hanging around, just ask them to do a little note to the gp saying you need ketone strips as well as glucose stips. Worked for me!
Im usually good at putting my foot in it but im just assuming you guys all have a diabetic clinic (we have a diabetes centre here at my local hospital) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back