Meter averages and a1c

• Thread starter Thread starter FM001
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FM001

Just out of interest everyone, how does your blood glucose meter averages compare to your recent a1c's, are you disappointed or pleasantly surprised?

My meter average was 6.7 and my a1c was 5.4%... strange but true 😉

Needless to say you were pleased then Lou!🙂 Mine tend to be within 0.5 difference either way.

There is a calculation knocking around somewhere to calculate your potential A1c from your average meter reading - if I find it I'll post it. Mine are pretty close - HbA1c 5.6% and meter about 5.8 mmol/l over the past couple of months. A lot will depend on when you take your meter readings, of course. I test before exercise, when I expect (and hope) to be above range, so those higher readings go into my average. If you only ever test pre-meal then your meter average is likely to be much lower than your HbA1c.

Hmm tricky as i have been using 2 meters over the period of time before my hba1c but current meter says 7.1 average 14 day period so thats sort of close to my 6.7!

There's a table here that you can compare the two figures on:

http://www.diabeteschart.org/intlbgchart.html

It gives my 5.6% equivalent to average 6.3 mmo/l. Remember though, that this is not what your meter would show, rather what your average levels would be if you were continously monitoring.

Last edited:
There is a calculation knocking around somewhere to calculate your potential A1c from your average meter reading - if I find it I'll post it. Mine are pretty close - HbA1c 5.6% and meter about 5.8 mmol/l over the past couple of months. A lot will depend on when you take your meter readings, of course. I test before exercise, when I expect (and hope) to be above range, so those higher readings go into my average. If you only ever test pre-meal then your meter average is likely to be much lower than your HbA1c.

That would make sence as I had been testing 2 hours after eating to make sure its goin back to normal!
I hardly ever test just before a meal 🙄

There's a table here that you can compare the two figures on:

http://www.rajeun.net/HbA1c_glucose.html

It gives my 5.6% equivalent to average 6.8 mmo/l. Remember though, that this is not what your meter would show, rather what your average levels would be if you were continously monitoring.

Thanks everyone thus far, seems some are close and others way of the mark, I suppose it does depend on the time and frequency of testing. Northerner, thanks for the above table, but whoever wrote the comments at the bottom of the table is seriously off their rocker! I mean 4-4.4 is 'optimal' control (4 is borderline hypo) and to suggest that 5-5.4 is 'high'... is simply barking! I would say 5-5.4 is excellent control and anything below that figure whilst taking medication is dangerous, what do others think?

Thanks everyone thus far, seems some are close and others way of the mark, I suppose it does depend on the time and frequency of testing. Northerner, thanks for the above table, but whoever wrote the comments at the bottom of the table is seriously off their rocker! I mean 4-4.4 is 'optimal' control (4 is borderline hypo) and to suggest that 5-5.4 is 'high'... is simply barking! I would say 5-5.4 is excellent control and anything below that figure whilst taking medication is dangerous, what do others think?

I agree with "off their rocker" hehe imagine saying a hba1c of 7.5% is suicidal 😱

my doc told me that my 5.4% was like non diabetic level but I guess the yanks have a different view point 🙄 They are afterall MUCH healthier than us...... pmsl 😉

I agree with "off their rocker" hehe imagine saying a hba1c of 7.5% is suicidal 😱

my doc told me that my 5.4% was like non diabetic level but I guess the yanks have a different view point 🙄 They are afterall MUCH healthier than us...... pmsl 😉

Hehe! Yes, I agree completely - he's a follower of Bernstein who is an extreme low-carber with ridiculously low (and quite possibly dangerous) targets. I might try and find a different link - I was being lazy and didn't bother reading the comments. To suggest that my 5.6% represents 'bad' control is nonsense. Any tighter and I'd be constantly in hypo! 😱

I'm replacing it with this one:

Hehe! Yes, I agree completely - he's a follower of Bernstein who is an extreme low-carber with ridiculously low (and quite possibly dangerous) targets. I might try and find a different link - I was being lazy and didn't bother reading the comments. To suggest that my 5.6% represents 'bad' control is nonsense. Any tighter and I'd be constantly in hypo! 😱

Yeah that a much better chart, more realistic lol

I think we would all like our control to be perfect and in the 5% region but unfortunately its too dangerous for some 😱

I think in that first link the author actually mentions that he isnt a diabetic but the findings are based on another person :confused:

well thats what I gathered from it lol

Thanks for the new chart Northerner, much better without those ridiculous quotes on the bottom, its sad to think that some diabetics may take the Bernstein approach literally and in the process endanger their own life. Insulin dependent diabetics should strive to have a a1c of above 5, any lower and it is simply crazy and irresponsible!

Just out of interest everyone, how does your blood glucose meter averages compare to your recent a1c's, are you disappointed or pleasantly surprised?

I just wanted to add what a good question this is as i have never really thought about the link before DOH!!
In answer to the question though, i do find my HBA1C a bit lower than my meter averages and i need to understand the technicality of why this is.

I shall check out that chart in a bit too...

Bernie xx 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back