Metaformin

ian br

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Recently diagnosed with Type 2
GP put on metaformin. All ok so far but only on 1 tablet in morning but going up weekly until on 2 in morning and 2 at night. Slightly worried about side effects. Anyone have any advice? Best with or without food? Best to take at bedtime or hour or so before etc. ??

Hi
Recently diagnosed with Type 2
GP put on metaformin. All ok so far but only on 1 tablet in morning but going up weekly until on 2 in morning and 2 at night. Slightly worried about side effects. Anyone have any advice? Best with or without food? Best to take at bedtime or hour or so before etc. ??
Hopefully you won't experience any side effects of the increased dose of Metformin but having with food, actually mid meal is supposed to minimise any side effects.
If you do get any then ask for the slow release version.
Are you also making some dietary changes as metformin only helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the output of glucose by the liver but dietary changes in reducing carbohydrates is equally if not more important.
Have a look at this link for some ideas of what you could be doing on that front https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Welcome to the forum by the way, do feel free to ask any questions.
What was your HbA1C as that will indicate how much work you have to do.

Hi there
Thanks for your reply. When first diagnosed about 2 months ago my Hba1c was 73 and cholesterol 8.4. with diet and exercise I've got that down to 57 and cholesterol 2.8 (after a fasting blood test which usually comes out lower) I've lost over 1.5 stone in weight. Really pleased with what I've done and determined to get to remission I hope. Thanks for the link, most helpful

Hi there
Thanks for your reply. When first diagnosed about 2 months ago my Hba1c was 73 and cholesterol 8.4. with diet and exercise I've got that down to 57 and cholesterol 2.8 (after a fasting blood test which usually comes out lower) I've lost over 1.5 stone in weight. Really pleased with what I've done and determined to get to remission I hope. Thanks for the link, most helpful
Wow, those new numbers are impressive. Especially the drop in total cholestrol. Congratulations x1bn

@ian br welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed in July and put on metformin mid August increasing one tablet a week. Mine were slow release which are supposed to be kinder. I assumed I would get diarrhoea but on one tablet I went 5 days between motions and on two managed eight days. Every time I posted it resolved. By third tablet things were loosening up and on fourth tablet looser still but surgery added a new tablet called an SGLT2 a few days later and as some of its function overlaps with metformin I went down to one twice a day. Sometimes it blunts my appetite so I interpret it as one with first meal and one with second. The new tablet requires some carbs to work on and says don't go low carb. I assumed this was the keto diet which I'm not interested in. I was eating mainly fish eggs cheese and veg between 88 and 130. I'm trying to add more carbs but I've lost my rythym to it. At the end of the first week I had an episode of diarrhoea after a very stressful day. The following week I had an episode mid morning on day going back to surgery to evaluate. I conceded I couldn't be sure medication may be food or something else. I was rewarded by a statin being added! When I went to bed Friday night it sounded like two boats were sloshing around my tummy I burned and farted. I spent from 1.30 to three in the bathroom emptying my bowels. I haven't poohed since but who knows when. My first week on dapaglifozin felt good so if it is the drug it is disappointing. Additionally since last Monday have had my first cold of the year sneezing and with a hacking cough as a result of the snot going down my throat. I have today been to the chemist and gots some cough medicine. I'm feeling a bit warn out. The pharmacist has told me to report to the GP if I have a fourth incidence of diarrhoea. I'm awaiting a cataract op at end of the month and was due to have a preop consult with a nurse at 8.30. However I was phoned at 7.45 to say she was sick.
I don't feel well but I don't feel ill. I'm hoping it is a blip and things will improve. There are so many members there will always be a few who have serious side effects. I was told to take metformin with food and tend to take it with water when I have a mouthful left. I have seen a YouTube Video suggesting fifteen minutes after eating.
Good luck

I had slight tummy upsets most days with metformin (4 x 500mg tabs a day).
My GP switched me to slow release metformin (still 4 tabs a day) but I still had upset tummy, but not as often as the normal metformin.
I then went down to 3 tabs per day, 2 in the morning and 1 at night and that was better, but still an occasional upset tummy.
Luckily I have now stopped taking metformin. I hope you get no side effects.

Back