Metaformin, Diarrhoea and Carbs -Newbie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, are you more likely to get diarrhoea from eating carbs when on metformin? Am on day 2 of metformin. Have porridge in morning. Have a bad stomach afterwards. Thanks

Metformin has the reputation of causing stomach issues when first started but it is better taken mid meal once you have some food in your stomach and for many it will settle after a few days, I assume you have been started on just 1 tablet and increasing if needed after a week. The metformin does not act directly on the food you eat but build up in your system helping you to use the insulin you are producing more efficiently and reducing the output of glucose from the liver.
For many porridge is not a good breakfast choice as it is high carbs and many find that full fat Greek yoghurt and berries or eggs in any form is better tolerated. However some do find porridge Ok but usually when they have tested using a home blood glucose monitor.

Thank you. I will try eggs tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.
It may take a while for your stomach to get used to the metformin, if it doesn't settle in about a week then go bck to your GP and ask for slow release version which is supposed to be gentler.
Don't forget dietary changes are going to be equally as important as the meds.
What is your HbA1C that has resulted in the metformin being prescribed.

57 on the first standard blood test. Then 56 on the second fasting blood test.
That would most likely be the result from an HbA1C test which is used for diagnosis not actually needed to be fasting but sometimes other tests are done at the same time which are.
You are not desperately far into the diabetic zone, over 47mmol/mol is the threshold, and many would be given the opportunity to make some lifestyle changes, diet and exercise for 3 months before being started on medication as even with the meds dietary changes are still needed as the metformin is not a magic bullet.

Unfortunately I have got to the stage where I have low energy. I am fairly active walking. I had a gyne op in December which effected my mobility for a while. I also have been on painkillers for that. Just as my gyne problems have relived somewhat I now have this. I need to cut out the carbs.

Hi. Anyone suffering bowel issues with standard Metformin should ask for a prescription change to Slow Release Metformin SR. It's much kinder and doesn't cost the NHS much more.

Hi. Anyone suffering bowel issues with standard Metformin should ask for a prescription change to Slow Release Metformin SR. It's much kinder and doesn't cost the NHS much more.
Thank you. Good advice as I suffer from IBS also

Hi, are you more likely to get diarrhoea from eating carbs when on metformin? Am on day 2 of metformin. Have porridge in morning. Have a bad stomach afterwards. Thanks
I am not on Metformin but porridge used to give me a bad stomach 30 minutes after eating it, I can tolerate it now but it was like a guarantee if I had it I would be in pain afterwards.

Good luck on your journey x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back