Message from Abbott re Android 13 upgrade and Libre

Status
Not open for further replies.

soupdragon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I received this email from Abbott today:
Important: Delay Android 13 upgrade for FreeStyle Libre Systems App Users

Interesting to see that they have recently discovered this problem!
They don't seem to be mentioning the alarms on their TV ads at the moment either.

Dear Customer:

We are reaching out to let you know about some important information regarding our FreeStyle LibreLink and FreeStyle Libre 3 Android apps.

Our records indicate you are using our FreeStyle LibreLink or FreeStyle Libre 3 Android app with a smartphone running Android 12 or below Operating System (OS).

We have recently discovered that when using smartphones with the Android 13 OS, customers may experience extended periods of signal loss in the FreeStyle LibreLink or FreeStyle Libre 3 Android apps. In these situations, users of glucose alarms will not receive low glucose and high glucose alarms and FreeStyle Libre 3 users will not receive real time glucose results. If you are a FreeStyle LibreLink user, this does not impact your ability to get glucose readings by scanning your Sensor with the FreeStyle LibreLink app on your smartphone or with your Reader.

As you are using Android 12 or below OS, you are not impacted by this issue. We advise you to delay upgrading to Android 13 until you receive additional notice from Abbott.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We have notified Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), and we are working to correct this issue. We will notify you when the issue has been resolved.

If you need further support or would like to report a device fault, please contact Customer Service at 0800 170 11 77.

Sincerely,
Abbott, Diabetes Care

Thanks @soupdragon 🙂

I’ve just seen a Field Safety Notice about this too.

Poor Abbott do seem to be in the wars with their apps and compatibility of late :(

It says Libre 3 - Abbott don’t even know which Libre’s available in which country LOL. 😉

I got that email too.

The thing with the alarms seems that it is more general than they acknowledge.

I had a strange situation for a while where the app would say that it had a problem with permissions so the alarms would not work. Clicking on the error to fix the permissions would show that the permissions were correct and alarms were indeed working fine, even though the error kept showing in the app. Abbott help was less than helpful. The error eventually disappeared after an android update.

Do we know that the Android 13 update does actually stops the alarms from working?

Not good. Given the history of problems they've had with the 2, it amazes me that they haven't completely resolved it with the 3. I'm sure it's very complex but with the amount of money they must be making surely it should be fixable.

Not impressed with Abbott on this one as android releases are annual and they need to put the effort in to testing. Telling people not to upgrade is useless as many new phones will have 13 already installed.

Android 14 due this summer...

A patch has been issued on 23rd Feb. Abbott say:

We’re pleased to inform you that our latest version of the FreeStyle LibreLink App (2.8.4) is now compatible with Android OS 13. Please update your FreeStyle LibreLink App for Android OS to the latest version (2.8.4) as soon as possible to ensure you are receiving glucose alarms on your smartphone when using the app with Android OS 13.

My app is up to date as well as Android 13 software (Google Pixel 6a) and the alarms have suddenly stopped working the last 2 days.
Please assist asap.

Thanks, Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back