Mental Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJT82

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks, I’ve been away for awhile. Despite initially doing great post T2 diagnosis and dramatically dropping weight and A1c over the last few years I’ve self destructed and returned to the weight and A1c level of the past. Pretty stupid of me I know.

And this is the issue, I KNOW! I know not taking hold of this condition will cause me a whole load of nastiness, stroke, amputation, blindness, premature death…….but I still don’t do the right thing. I know what I need to do, I know it needs to be done, and I know how much better I felt when things were better. But I choose to abuse myself by making choices that can only lead to a negative outcome.

I recently had an eye scan which informed me I have early signs of retinopathy, 2 weeks later I’m still shovelling down the bad stuff and missing my metformin.

Has anyone reached out for mental assistance, I feel the problem is deeper than me just liking crisps too much. If so, what profession did you reach out too and was it of use?

Thanks,

Sorry to hear that @MJT82 I think such actions are commoner than you’d think - ie knowing something is inadvisable but doing it anyway. If you think the motivation to do this to an extreme is coming from within you then you might find counselling useful. Talking and being listened to can help you sort things out in your own head and better see the problem and how to solve it.

Ah @MJT82

You are so not alone in this!

Diabetes can arrive with a form of grieving, and periods of denial, anger, or simply burnout/avoidance are part of many people’s experience.

I think one of the problems is the ‘nothing’ which is often our reward. We put the effort in. Avoid some things we enjoy, and make changes so that nothing happens. I first heard this eloquently expressed by Kim Vlasnik, a US blogger - and it really struck a chord with me.

What really strikes me from your post though, is that you have identified:
I know how much better I felt when things were better.

Perhaps that is the thing to focus on? That feeling of wellbeing and shedding of the lethargy and ugh-ishness?

Hello @MJT82,
Has anyone reached out for mental assistance, I feel the problem is deeper than me just liking crisps too much. If so, what profession did you reach out too and was it of use?
Yes and yes. I reached out for Counselling and I felt a lot better for spending time with someone who mainly listened or asked questions that got me thinking more clearly about what I was trying to say and gently tried to expose to me that my concerns and frustrations were real, yet not necessarily too serious. My Counsellor knew extremely little about Diabetes.

He encouraged me to talk about my D frustrations but did his best to move the narrative along when I was repeating myself. He also got me talking about me - from childhood into retirement, drawing out a spectrum of achievements as well as frustrations over the last 70 yrs or so. He certainly, gently, was encouraging me to take up techniques (that I was already aware of) to help myself, eg mindfulness; and introduced book titles and authors that he thought I might find helpful.

I know that I have been lucky to survive my pancreatic cancer and I do use that knowledge to remind myself that matters could be a lot, lot worse. I know that my cancer treatment opened up a massive doorway into a generous and kind day-hospice community who in a number of ways were constantly supportive; and amongst that support introduced me to my counsellor - who was a volunteer for the Hospice.

I do think we all need some mental support, whether that is in the form of a simple thank you or appreciation for something done, a warm conversation or a structured session of counselling - this all in my view necessary to promote our own mental well being. It follows
that our giving of such support is doing its bit in helping others.

At the very least @MJT82 by tapping into this forum now you are taking a clear and positive step in reaching out for some mental support (and that in itself is just great). Is there any opportunity somewhere close to you that you can provide some support or assistance to someone else or some other organisation? You might find that physically doing that will give you a pleasure and satisfaction that allows you to reward yourself mentally - which may then help you step past your "just liking crisps too much". It's satisfyingly strange how one action can morph into something very different, yet rewarding on both parts.

Hi folks, I’ve been away for awhile. Despite initially doing great post T2 diagnosis and dramatically dropping weight and A1c over the last few years I’ve self destructed and returned to the weight and A1c level of the past. Pretty stupid of me I know.

And this is the issue, I KNOW! I know not taking hold of this condition will cause me a whole load of nastiness, stroke, amputation, blindness, premature death…….but I still don’t do the right thing. I know what I need to do, I know it needs to be done, and I know how much better I felt when things were better. But I choose to abuse myself by making choices that can only lead to a negative outcome.

I recently had an eye scan which informed me I have early signs of retinopathy, 2 weeks later I’m still shovelling down the bad stuff and missing my metformin.

Thanks,
Believe me Brother i am not wishing to sound negative but reaching out for help with your mental health these days via the NHS is a complete nightmare , i have experience of the mental health system via the NHS for a long time before i had diabetes and pancreatitis and it is now a ramshackle pathetic shambles , people even with serious mental illness are being ignored and forgotten about , you may if lucky get a 6 week cbt offer probably a long waiting queue , if you have a few quid spare i would try that even that is no guarantee either . the NHS has loads of great people working and doing their best but take a look at waiting lists for , heart , cancer , diabetes , mental illness you name it its being destroyed and dismantled and has been for the last 35 years at least , good luck to you i hope you find some help support and peace of mind

Oh i forgot probably the worst one NHS dentistry a complete disgrace and the thing is people are still paying their taxes for this so called service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back