Menopause and BG levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancashireLass

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I can't believe the last time I posted here was summer last year, it seems like yesterday! Anyway I was on a mission back then to get my numbers back in control and I seemed to be doing well. My mental health was improving, my BG levels were improving and all was looking optimistic.

Despite this I have really started to struggle again to keep my BG's at an acceptable level, despite doing what I can to keep them under control. At the same time, I am convinced that I am in the early stages of the menopause. My GP seems to think I'm a little young yet, but I disagree - I'm mid-40's so it is entirely possible.

I suppose my question is could menopause be why I am finding it harder and harder to keep BG levels steady? Are the two linked at all?

Yes, they can be linked @LancashireLass A number of women here have mentioned erratic control during periods-menopause and menopause. Are you on any medication for the diabetes?

Yes, they can be linked @LancashireLass A number of women here have mentioned erratic control during periods-menopause and menopause. Are you on any medication for the diabetes?
Thanks @Inka

That's sort of a relief because my numbers seem to be going steadily up no matter what I try so that makes me feel less like I'm failing 🙂

I've been on Metformin for a number of years now (1000mg/day) but the GP has also recently increased this to 1500mg/day and also put me on Sitagliptin - I think that's right - I haven't got it in front of me to check the name. I was put on something called Forxiga (again a guess at the name - it's close 😉) but that didn't seem to agree with me

Is it also possible your diet has slipped and you need to review your carb intake. People's tolerance to carbs can chane over time and they find they may need to reduce their daily / meal intake to keep a stable level.

Thanks @Inka

That's sort of a relief because my numbers seem to be going steadily up no matter what I try so that makes me feel less like I'm failing 🙂

I've been on Metformin for a number of years now (1000mg/day) but the GP has also recently increased this to 1500mg/day and also put me on Sitagliptin - I think that's right - I haven't got it in front of me to check the name. I was put on something called Forxiga (again a guess at the name - it's close 😉) but that didn't seem to agree with me

As far as I know @LancashireLass the menopause makes blood sugar erratic - ie one minute you’re high after lunch, the next minute you’re too low, making life very unpredictable.

It could be that you’re experiencing highs instead (we’re all individuals) but it would be worth trying to rule out other causes as well.

Is it also possible your diet has slipped and you need to review your carb intake. People's tolerance to carbs can chane over time and they find they may need to reduce their daily / meal intake to keep a stable level.
My diet hasn't slipped, in fact I've been better more recently than I have in a long tome but it doesn't seem to be enough anymore so I was just curious if this could be a factor.

I'm happy to tweak my diet but I won't alter it so much that it is completely restricted, I have done this before and my MH suffered quite badly because of it.

I have had to adjust what I eat,as my tolerance has changed over the years.

Hmmm, I'm just not convinced it's diet to blame :confused: maybe it's a small factor but I guess my quest continues......

Hmmm, I'm just not convinced it's diet to blame :confused: maybe it's a small factor but I guess my quest continues......
You don't mention having a blood glucose home testing monitor which if you did and tested before and 2 hours after meals then you could eliminate your diet as being the problem.
It would also give you some evidence to speak to your GP about as to what may be going on.

You don't mention having a blood glucose home testing monitor which if you did and tested before and 2 hours after meals then you could eliminate your diet as being the problem.
It would also give you some evidence to speak to your GP about as to what may be going on.
I do have a monitor yes (probably should have mentioned that!) and I have been monitoring things, that's why I'm not convinced that it is diet related.
I can't test before and after every meal because I simply can't afford that amount of test strips at the moment but as in my signature, I was diagnosed in 2016 so I am not new to this and have a good knowledge of what I can and can't tolerate food wise.

Totally hear ya on the price of test strips. when I was self funding I would pick a meal a day and even then it was still one of those costs that soon added up.

I would absolutely say to you to weigh up the pros and cons of cutting more out of your diet and the impact on your mental health. Your BGs might be amazing but if you are totally miserable, how is that a win? Some people just need meds to help support dietary efforts, plain and simple. If you are at that point, try not to feel defeated, just use the tools that were designed to help in addition to what you can manage with diet.

Here's a link to a post with more links of medication pathways for type 2:
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/nice-sign-flowchart-for-t2-medication.99813/
You might want to have a poke about there and see what other options there are for you.
It is perfectly reasonable to go back to the GP and explain why they aren't agreeing with you and find an alternative. Everything comes with its own issues, just might have to try a few to see what fits.
Keep on at the doctors if things aren't working for you (of course give them a chance).

Also I'm 43 and my period patterns and some blood results show I'm pre-menopause. I can't say much on its relation to bg as I got those blood results in with my first hba1c last October but age wise, mid 40s isn't so unlikely.
Are the GPs willing to do bloods to rule out menopause or other things like @Inka suggested?

Totally hear ya on the price of test strips. when I was self funding I would pick a meal a day and even then it was still one of those costs that soon added up.

I would absolutely say to you to weigh up the pros and cons of cutting more out of your diet and the impact on your mental health. Your BGs might be amazing but if you are totally miserable, how is that a win? Some people just need meds to help support dietary efforts, plain and simple. If you are at that point, try not to feel defeated, just use the tools that were designed to help in addition to what you can manage with diet.

Here's a link to a post with more links of medication pathways for type 2:
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/nice-sign-flowchart-for-t2-medication.99813/
You might want to have a poke about there and see what other options there are for you.
It is perfectly reasonable to go back to the GP and explain why they aren't agreeing with you and find an alternative. Everything comes with its own issues, just might have to try a few to see what fits.
Keep on at the doctors if things aren't working for you (of course give them a chance).

Also I'm 43 and my period patterns and some blood results show I'm pre-menopause. I can't say much on its relation to bg as I got those blood results in with my first hba1c last October but age wise, mid 40s isn't so unlikely.
Are the GPs willing to do bloods to rule out menopause or other things like @Inka suggested?
Thank you @gll - the bit I have put in bold is absolutely what I meant earlier when I said I am happy to tweak my diet but won't restrict it so much that I'm unhappy again. What is the point in prolonging your life if you're miserable? 🙂

The GP isn't brilliant to be honest, I have raised the issue with them but so far they have not been keen on listening to anything to do with the "M" word, I was just simply told "it's highly unlikely at your age". I will keep trying though and hopefully can get some answers. As @Inka said, it may not be anything to do with the menopause and could be something else entirely......or maybe my body is just slowly giving up 😳

This drives me potty!! 35 odd years ago I deliberately made any appt with a lady doc because though I really liked my male GP, he couldn't accept my lady probs needed any assistance - I'd had to learn to be stoic about mega heavy periods at random times you couldn't predict since I was 11 - this was worse than that - there's none so blind than those who cannot see. She eventually ran out of GP options, said I needed to be ref'd to gynae but said as she wasn't my 'nominated' GP at the surgery, I'd have to see the male one again and get him to ref me. Oh God! - he ref'd me no prob and I got HRT implants, so when they needed replacing I though Oooer again, so rang up and said why I needed an appt and the receptionist said immediately, Dr B does that so she can fit you in and reeled off the dates and times - no prob whatsoever.

So - do you have any lady GPs at your surgery, is it possible to ring and say you have a tricky gynae prob you've been suffering from a long while now (lay it on) and really need to see a GP who's really good with such things, that you already know Dr X isn't and so you need to see someone else this time, please?

There is no lady GP at my surgery unfortunately, there are three male doctors and the female practice nurse. I have an appointment with the nurse in the next few weeks so I will speak to her about it and go from there.

the nurses in my practice seem to be more on the ball than the GPs 😉
I need to go back to see them, gone from no period at all to on for 3 days, off, on, off etc. Driving me up the wall.
Been more of a case of trying to get bg under control so that cant be blamed for my ever growing list of issues.

Let us know how it goes @LancashireLass and if you need to re-engage with your D, hop on the walking thread. Has defo helped me keep some kinda focus and get the frustrations out and celebrate the positives x

I hope the nurse is helpful, @LancashireLass

Just to give you a bit more ammunition if you have to tackle the doctor again, my menopause started when I was in my early 40s and definitely effected my blood sugar levels, and my Mum's menopause started when she was 38.

I got diabetes during peri-menopause. Menopause & diabetes are related to ageing, so yes, there is a relationship. If your GP isn’t supporting your questions on menopause, ask for a referral to a gyno clinic. If you’ve got symptoms, such as hot flashes, increased anxiety, menstrual flooding, erratic or frequent periods, weight gain, irritability, or any number of symptoms listed on the nhs site, then you can probably get a referral. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back