Memory loss, confusion, not quite there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeyminime

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just a quickie!. Does Diabetes cause memory loss. I know high and low levels cause confusion etc. However, for the past few weeks if not a little longer. I've noticed my brain or memory isn't quite there when at work even when i'm not having a hypo/hyper. I have customers and colleagues asking me questions and for hours, my brain or memory doesn't click. I tend to feel like a zombie scratching my head. It's like i can't focus, concerntrate or remember anything. It tends to pass many hours later or should i say, a few hours before i finish my shift, but only slightly. I woke up just a little while ago and I feel fine at the moment as i'm at home, however, i'm not sure if its work, stress or just related to the diabetes in general.

Is there anything else going on? Have you had covid?

Have you had any bloods lately? Contact your GP if not,as basic things like thyroid iron levels etc can be checked.

Might not be relevant, but statins can have an effect like this for some people I believe.
Hope you can get to the bottom of it and get it resolved. Definitely discuss it with your GP as it it not normal. Must be a bit worrying when it is affecting your work.

Brain fog is associated with certain insulins for some people. What insulins do you take @Mickeyminime ?

Also, how’s your sleep? Erratic blood sugars during the night can disturb rest even when you’re not always aware of them.

Just a quickie!. Does Diabetes cause memory loss. I know high and low levels cause confusion etc. However, for the past few weeks if not a little longer. I've noticed my brain or memory isn't quite there when at work even when i'm not having a hypo/hyper. I have customers and colleagues asking me questions and for hours, my brain or memory doesn't click. I tend to feel like a zombie scratching my head. It's like i can't focus, concerntrate or remember anything. It tends to pass many hours later or should i say, a few hours before i finish my shift, but only slightly. I woke up just a little while ago and I feel fine at the moment as i'm at home, however, i'm not sure if its work, stress or just related to the diabetes in general.

Mickey, I don't live with T1, but will say memory issues can be caused by a number of issues - many simple to sort.

I would definitely echo a decent broad spectrum bloods panel, to include hormones, vitamins and minerals.

Sorry to hear about your fuzzy-headedness @Mickeyminime

Hope you can find out what’s behind it and get it sorted. Sounds horrible!

Have you had any bloods lately? Contact your GP if not,as basic things like thyroid iron levels etc can be checked.
if you mean blood tests, i've not been seen too or had any blood tests for nearly 2 years. Everything more or less died or went quiet around the time the first lock down kicked off. My last HBA1C levels where from November/December 2019. They where somewhere in the 70's as i was recently diagnosed in september 2018.

Might not be relevant, but statins can have an effect like this for some people I believe.
Hope you can get to the bottom of it and get it resolved. Definitely discuss it with your GP as it it not normal. Must be a bit worrying when it is affecting your work.
It has its moments, but when it kicks off, i get that lost confused feeling. Its like my body is in one place while the mind is 50 miles down the road. I felt ok today, I only had a few blonde moments, but its nowhere near like it has been on the other occasions.

Brain fog is associated with certain insulins for some people. What insulins do you take @Mickeyminime ?

Also, how’s your sleep? Erratic blood sugars during the night can disturb rest even when you’re not always aware of them.
I'm not going to deny it, although i've never heard of Brain fog, it certainly has the feel to it. I use Novarapid and Lavamir, its the slow and fast one. I try to avoid using insulin before work. Being in the supermarket and always running around, hypo's tend to occur. Its very rare when it happens at work if i have it the night before. The times i had a hypo at work, i more or less got targeted by the day managers because i was slowing down or i had to take a break. I've suffered from Insomia since childhood, I went to bed just after 12am and was wide awake just after 3am before i posted a topic on here.

Sorry to hear about your fuzzy-headedness @Mickeyminime

Hope you can find out what’s behind it and get it sorted. Sounds horrible!
It's difficult to say when it kicks off. There are times it's okish to deal with, while other times, i don't know what i'm doing. Luckily today was alright, i felt like i was there and not on another planet.

So - what sort of BG's are you seeing, day to day? And have you rung your GP and asked why they have not done any blood or other tests for the last 2 years - have you had your retinopathy screening photos taken this year? - if not ring your local service and ask why and when they are going to do it. Yes we have had a pandemic but the world has not stopped.

I'm not going to deny it, although i've never heard of Brain fog, it certainly has the feel to it. I use Novarapid and Lavamir, its the slow and fast one. I try to avoid using insulin before work. Being in the supermarket and always running around, hypo's tend to occur. Its very rare when it happens at work if i have it the night before. The times i had a hypo at work, i more or less got targeted by the day managers because i was slowing down or i had to take a break. I've suffered from Insomia since childhood, I went to bed just after 12am and was wide awake just after 3am before i posted a topic on here.

If your sleep is really bad, then maybe you need to speak to someone? Insomnia can cause huge physical and mental problems and make it almost impossible to function. What I’d do is keep a sleep diary for a week so you can show the GP how much sleep you’re getting and get some advice.

I think you’ve mentioned not taking your insulin before. Speak to your DSN. They won’t be shocked or tell you off. Perhaps you need support both with your sleep and with your blood sugars.

It sounds as if you don't have a regular pattern in taking your insulin so your glucose levels could be swinging from high to low giving you the symptoms you describe. Added to a poor sleeping pattern you should get some advice and new blood tests as that should pick up things which are now out of normal range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back