Meformin - Morning, Noon or Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derby Simon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Currently I am on one Metformin a day but due to experiencing some gut related issues with that I was looking more at when to take the pill. The pharmacy instructions on the label say with breakfast and the leaflet says the same but I dont eat breakfast so have taken it at lunch time when I have my packed lunch while out at work. I was looking online and came across an NHS web page about Metformin and it said the best time to take it to reduce such side effects was with your evening meal - the complete other end of the day to what the pharmacy and maker says. I think if anything the time of day my sugars go up is with that evening meal - because by that time I am less active and wondered if the Metformin would actually have more to do so to speak at that time of day. Would welcome thoughts on this.

Metformin doesn’t make a difference to blood sugars at the meal you take it with, it builds up slowly over time and has more of a general effect. If you’re only taking one it doesn’t matter when you take it but taking with food can reduce the side effects. If you’re on normal release metformin then when you up the dose you’ll spread them so you’re taking one with first meal of the day and one with your dinner.

My understanding is the same as @Lucyr ’s, metformin builds up over time, soaking into your system and works in the background by reducing overall insulin resistance, and reducing glucose output from the liver.

I believe it can help to reduce any gastric wobbles you may have experienced to take the tablet with a reasonable-sized meal.

If the standard release continues to upset your tum, you can ask for a ‘slow release’ version, which often helps.

Metformin doesn’t make a difference to blood sugars at the meal you take it with, it builds up slowly over time and has more of a general effect. If you’re only taking one it doesn’t matter when you take it but taking with food can reduce the side effects. If you’re on normal release metformin then when you up the dose you’ll spread them so you’re taking one with first meal of the day and one with your dinner.
Thanks, the NHS website referred to the normal form of Metformin as fast acting - so I presumed it meant it acted quickly in your system - hence I thought it would target the sugars from the main meal. There are no plans to up my dose beyond one a day - my last HBA1C test came back as 47 from a high of 66 so I presume one a day is doing the job.

My understanding is the same as @Lucyr ’s, metformin builds up over time, soaking into your system and works in the background by reducing overall insulin resistance, and reducing glucose output from the liver.

I believe it can help to reduce any gastric wobbles you may have experienced to take the tablet with a reasonable-sized meal.

If the standard release continues to upset your tum, you can ask for a ‘slow release’ version, which often helps.
Thanks for your reply, yes not currently ideal stomach wise but am beginning to wonder if different manufacturers versions of Metformin have different impacts. I am on pack 3 - the 1st and current have caused stomach issues - same brand where as pack 2 - different brand seemed to be ok.

Thanks for your reply, yes not currently ideal stomach wise but am beginning to wonder if different manufacturers versions of Metformin have different impacts. I am on pack 3 - the 1st and current have caused stomach issues - same brand where as pack 2 - different brand seemed to be ok.
Yes it does vary between manufacturers, I’ve heard others say that too. If it becomes problematic you can ask the GP to specify the brand that is okay on your prescription or switch to slow release

Yes it does vary between manufacturers, I’ve heard others say that too. If it becomes problematic you can ask the GP to specify the brand that is okay on your prescription or switch to slow release
I went in to the pharmacy the other day where my prescription comes from and they basically said you just get the box of the pills they have at the time but I might see if I can get a specific one if my upsets continue.

I went in to the pharmacy the other day where my prescription comes from and they basically said you just get the box of the pills they have at the time but I might see if I can get a specific one if my upsets continue.
If your prescription said a specific brand though you’d get that brand, that’s why I said you can get your GP to specify the one that works without side effects

If your prescription said a specific brand though you’d get that brand, that’s why I said you can get your GP to specify the one that works without side effects
Thanks, will have to see if I can pin down if the 2nd pack I had was better and see if they will do as you suggest.

Yes T1s have to be careful about this with insulins, and have eg ‘Lantus’ rather than ‘glargine’ which is the generic name. Especially now that there are biosimilars around. I think @Flower had an experience where a biosimilar was supplied instead of the brandname insulin, and it wasn’t quite the same.

As I understand it, if the brandname is on the prescription, that’s what they have to supply.

Unfortunately, of course, this might mean that you’d have to shop around between pharmacies if they didn’t have the correct brand in stock (or wait for them to order some)

My prescription has been a speific brand for a number of years , though not at my instigation, I belive it is my CCG recommendation to GP's. Prior to this I could be given differnt brands each time, and occasionally differnt brands on the one prescription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back