Meformin/Actos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've said before how difficult it is for me to swallow my Metformin. This is still the case and I have not taken them for nearly 3 months. I have taken my Actos. I was told today that you should NOT take Actos alone without the Metfomin. Is this true? And if it is, why? My last blood test (couple weeks ago) was 6.1 and has been for just over 1 year now. I am feeling ok not taking the Metformin but obviously if what I'm doing is unwise I would like to know.

I'm not sure, have never heard that before, who was it who told you that? Did you not ask for an explanation?

Metofrmin does come in a liquid form, ask your Gp to prescribe it as a liquid

Thanks for the replies. Dr will not prescribe liquid Metformin - too expensive!! The Actos seems to be working ok alone so will carry on with it!

Go back and ask for explanation as a reassurance for yourself.

If you cant swallow the metformin, is it because the tablet itself is too big? I always call the 850 mg ones horse pills because they are quite big. If it is becaus the pill itself is too big, ask if there is something smaller or consider cutting or crushing it. When I have a sore throat I have to split mine to make them easier to swallow.

But don't crunch or cut enteric coated tablets - they need to enter your stomach / intestine with coating intact.

But don't crunch or cut enteric coated tablets - they need to enter your stomach / intestine with coating intact.

I just checked my metformin, they don't appear to be enteric coated, but it is worth checking just in case. I hadn't given that a thought.

Thanks for the replies. Dr will not prescribe liquid Metformin - too expensive!! The Actos seems to be working ok alone so will carry on with it!

Things like this make my blood boil! Your doctor should prescribe the form of the medication that you are able to take, if it is available. I would complain very strongly, many people have problems swallowing pills, especially huge ones, and this is surely why there is a liquid form available? Does your doctor not consider your long term health at all? Change him/her, or send them round to me!!!!😡😡

Then I would ask how much your complications will cost as you can not take the tablet form :D That should make him/her think.
Mind you with your great A1c I doubt you will get any complications 🙂

What annoys me is doctors are paid to look after us. Does the cost of prescribing this come out of his budget or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back