Medtronic Veo vs Animas Vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauren

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So on Wednesday I made the switch from my trusty Medtronic pump to a newer, prettier Animas Vibe!

Here are my initial thoughts:
- The lack of a back button is really annoying. I was told the pump would be easy to use, which it is, but it a lot faffier having to scroll through the whole menu to get back to the home screen.
- I really, really don't like the fact that you can't link a BG monitor to this pump - I used to be able to test my BG and have it sent automatically to my pump. It would show up on screen and it would be a press of a couple of buttons to correct / bolus.
- There is no bolus button, which is a major disappointment. Instead of being able to bolus at the touch of a button, I have to navigate the dreaded menu and submenus to be able to enter my BG and carbs! Annoying but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
- The speed of insulin delivery I do not like :( I've set it to the slowest setting but it still whizzes into me, which stings. Honestly, I prefer the Medtronic's slower delivery.
- Changing the cartridge and set is a bit like going back to the dark ages after the medtronic's easy system. Plenty of exposed needles and lots of bits and pieces to fiddle with! I don't like it!
-HOWEVER: I admit the pump looks nicer, has a nicer display and I like the fact that it is curved, and looks more natural in my pocket. It is also slightly smaller than my medtronic, which is great too.
- It is waterproof! Very exciting and I'm so happy that I can go on holiday to Spain in May and wear this pump all the time, even when I'm swimming :D
- I like the fact that you can set up reminders to check BG an hour after eating.
- The clip that comes with this pump is much more sturdy than my medtronic one, which was always falling off!

To be honest I think that if I had not had the Medtronic beforehand these things would not bother me so much. I think I will get used to it in time (except possibly the pain when I'm bolusing!).

Animas and Medtronic users: What are your thoughts?

There is a bolus button it's next to the battery compartment. 😉
If you don't want the faffing around by scrolling through the menu to get to the home screen then set the lights off button to the shortest duration then switch the pump on again. But if you hold finger on the button it soon goes down to the home menu so not really a problem.
At what quantity are you blousing @? look at screen 7 and set it too 0.1 and see if that helps Also you can do an extended over 15 mins which has helped some people also look at your cannula, is it actually the correct one for you to be using?
Cartridge filling so simple just a syringe to fill and drop it into the pump. Plunger end goes in the bin and needle in the sharps container. Less than 2 mins to do the lot 😛

Yes I agree far to many button pushes and that was always my niggle with the pump.

Not much help to you as only started pumping two weeks ago, on the animas vibe, got nothing to compare with but there is a lot of button pushing.

There is a bolus button it's next to the battery compartment. 😉
If you don't want the faffing around by scrolling through the menu to get to the home screen then set the lights off button to the shortest duration then switch the pump on again. But if you hold finger on the button it soon goes down to the home menu so not really a problem.
At what quantity are you blousing @? look at screen 7 and set it too 0.1 and see if that helps Also you can do an extended over 15 mins which has helped some people also look at your cannula, is it actually the correct one for you to be using?
Cartridge filling so simple just a syringe to fill and drop it into the pump. Plunger end goes in the bin and needle in the sharps container. Less than 2 mins to do the lot 😛

Yes I agree far to many button pushes and that was always my niggle with the pump.

Thank you Sue - some great tips! I am definitely going to do the extended bolus over 15 mins 🙂

Not much help to you as only started pumping two weeks ago, on the animas vibe, got nothing to compare with but there is a lot of button pushing.
Hopefully we will get used to it! Let me know how you get on 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back