Medtronic stick or twist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddler

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I currently have the Medtronic 640G with Libre 2. I have been given the choice of the Medtronic 780G, Tandem T Slim or Omnipod DASH.
I have ruled the Omnipod out due to the 200 unit capacity (it would only last me 2 days).
So do I stay with Medtronic and hope thattheir sensors become available on the NHS or do I go with the Tandem T Slim.
What are the pros and cons of both especially the T Slim? I've read that the cartridge filling is fiddly and how often do you have to charge the pump with Medtronic its simple to change the battery every month or so, will the T Slim battery degrade over time needing more and more charging?
Any views greatly appreciated.

I am using the 780 and looping with the Guardian 4 sensors.

I find that it has removed a lot of the ’work’ that I was doing and I can simply ignore my diabetes between meals in the normal run of things. I particularly like SLEEPING at night. Even if I go to bed a bit high the pump settles things down with some micro boluses and I wake back on target. If I eat late this is also less of a problem whilst looping. I think that these benefits would be the same which loopy pump you use.

I find filling the cartridge easy and it does have the option of different sizes depending on your doses. I use the smaller ones, partially fill and replace every two days as where I left it to three days I got some skanky sites.

The battery for the pump lasts quite a while and replacements are provided alongside regular cartridge and cannula order. The sensor and battery last one week. There is a period when the transmitter needs recharging, and then a warm up period, which would be true of any system.

I like the Guardian 4 sensor which requires just one finger prick in the week. I doubted their advertising about this but it has proved to be correct. I have been told that I am likely to get funding for my sensors in the near future. The sensors for both the T-Slim and 780 are not readily funded at present, as I think they are more expensive than the basic ones available on the NHS more generally.

Which ever system you go for I suspect once you loop you will find it as big a game changer as first going onto a pump and/or using the Libre. I would not want to go back now, but it took me some time to trust it to do all the stuff I had done For a long while. You also have to find ways to make the adjustments available work for you. It took me time to sort out extended periods of exercise.

Happy to answer any questions.

Welcome to the forum @riddler 🙂

I self funded Libre (1) for a bit while on MM640G, and thrn decided I’d go for a Guardian transmitter and restart Medtronic G3 sensors to get a Libre’s worth for the same money (more or less).

So I was able to afford roughly half the year with Smartguard.

And it made a huge difference

When it came to the end of warranty, I went for the tSlim, snd it has suited me well.

Good luck with your choice!

What are the pros and cons of both especially the T Slim? I've read that the cartridge filling is fiddly

Bit fiddly to start with, but now about as quick as it was.

and how often do you have to charge the pump with Medtronic its simple to change the battery every month or so,

Some do a daily top-up of 10 mins or so (eg when in the shower, or sat at the computer), but I never found that rhythm so I just wait and charge every 5-6 days or whenever it gets down to about 50%

will the T Slim battery degrade over time needing more and more charging?

I started on the tslim in July 2020, so by the summer I’ll be 3/4 of the way through a 4 year warranty.

My battery isn’t showing any signs of slowing down yet. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back