Medtronic (lack of) support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Oldfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Woken up this morning at 6.30 by the sound of my Medtronic 640G pump alarming. Error message saying something along the lines of "Critical error - please switch to get your insulin from somewhere else".

No problem, I thought. My experience with their support has generally been good, with replacements of previous dodgy pumps sent out by courier same day.

First problem was getting through to someone. Phoning at about 7am I was expecting to be put through to the US or similar, but first couple of times the call just hung after a couple of the 'choose 2 to report a fault' type choices. Went back a few times and got into a loop of hold music and 'press 1 if you don't want us to record your call' - that second option over and over so made me think something not right with the queuing system. After about half an hour of trying, finally someone picked up the phone. Really bad line quality but managed to figure they were asking me what sort of problem I had. After explaining, she said she'd put me through - and back into the hold music and 'press 1 if you don't want us to record your call' loop.

Eventually, did manage to get to speak to someone else who told me they'd order a replacement. But not going to arrive until Monday. I explained I'd had them same day before but apparently there's a shortage of 640Gs. She also said they have a shortage of staff, hence the delay getting through.

Last issue was down to grabbing pump settings from their Carelink site. Seems that's been redesigned since last time I looked at it and nothing like as user friendly. I asked the Medtronic rep where to grab settings from last upload and she was fundamentally clueless.

All in all, absolutely dreadful level of support. I've had an email asking for feedback so will be filling that in next! Apologies for the rant, just had to get it off my chest.

(On the bright side, I do actually have a spare 640G due to previous shenanigans, and also managed to figure out how to grab latest settings for myself.)

For me your experience is unusual with their pump support line.

It does take longer to get throughout of hours as there are fewer staff, but this support is now in house, and quicker than when they were putting us through to USA. I hope that you get things sorted soon.

For me your experience is unusual with their pump support line.

It does take longer to get throughout of hours as there are fewer staff, but this support is now in house, and quicker than when they were putting us through to USA. I hope that you get things sorted soon.

They've stopped using the US support people?

@Rob Oldfield,
I have had exactly the same problems with Moronic.
Very pleased to say I'm changing over to the Tslim a year early.
Have a little wait I suspect as Tslim have a lot of people wanting to go on their pump so a case of DSN being able to set up a clinic date to change over.

They've stopped using the US support people?
It is a lot better (usually) now and I was getting a quicker response since they now use UK staff for the out of hours support. I have also found that the support makes more sense as the Us staff wouod give info relevant to those purchasing their support through medical insurance rather than UK systems.

It is a lot better (usually) now and I was getting a quicker response since they now use UK staff for the out of hours support. I have also found that the support makes more sense as the Us staff wouod give info relevant to those purchasing their support through medical insurance rather than UK systems.
Hmmm. Something definitely went badly wrong with it this morning. I've not had to contact Medtronic for a quite a while now, but always found the US staff to be fine when I have done in the past.

@Rob Oldfield,
I have had exactly the same problems with Moronic.
Very pleased to say I'm changing over to the Tslim a year early.
Have a little wait I suspect as Tslim have a lot of people wanting to go on their pump so a case of DSN being able to set up a clinic date to change over.
I'm not sure when my pump is coming up to renewal date, but not that far off I think. I'll certainly be looking at alternatives when that comes up.

Hmmm. Something definitely went badly wrong with it this morning. I've not had to contact Medtronic for a quite a while now, but always found the US staff to be fine when I have done in the past.
I hope that this was just a blip And that you get the help you need. I certainly find that the pump support is excellent.

There have been some ‘glitches’ with orders espec early on which was at the time of Brexit and then COVID.

I hope that this was just a blip And that you get the help you need. I certainly find that the pump support is excellent.

There have been some ‘glitches’ with orders espec early on which was at the time of Brexit and then COVID.
Trouble is, it isn't just a glitch. There are so many complaints regarding medtronics lack of customer care and the delays in getting supplies.

Medtronic have historically had a reputation for excellent support and customer service - it was one of the reasons some people chose their products. And I always had excellent service and prompt deliveries during my 8 years with them.

I think they got a bit stretched when they took on the majority of Animas’s customers when Animas went under, and I think there were a few wobbles when a production facility in central america got splatted by a hurricane (a few years back).

And I know Sue has had a real nightmare with them

Glad you managed to get it sorted in the end @Rob Oldfield

Just to provide an update on this one, the good news was the replacement pump actually turned up end of day on Friday. So better than they'd said it would be, but not as quick as I've had replacements previously. That was all good but returns paperwork that came with it was completely unclear how the return of the broken one would be handled.

Called them this morning (within UK hours) to query that - and was on hold for 50 minutes (no indication of wait length and annoying repeated message "We'll be with you shortly!"). Eventually got through and apparently the DHL driver should have let me know what the replacement process was. Also complained about the wait and bloke acknowledged that they're aware of problems and review of support arrangements is being undertaken. Can't say that really fills me with a great deal of hope but maybe they'll get back to previous high levels of service.

Just to provide an update on this one, the good news was the replacement pump actually turned up end of day on Friday. So better than they'd said it would be, but not as quick as I've had replacements previously. That was all good but returns paperwork that came with it was completely unclear how the return of the broken one would be handled.

Called them this morning (within UK hours) to query that - and was on hold for 50 minutes (no indication of wait length and annoying repeated message "We'll be with you shortly!"). Eventually got through and apparently the DHL driver should have let me know what the replacement process was. Also complained about the wait and bloke acknowledged that they're aware of problems and review of support arrangements is being undertaken. Can't say that really fills me with a great deal of hope but maybe they'll get back to previous high levels of service.
I don't see why it should be up to the DHL driver to tell you what the process is, the company should be doing that!

I don't see why it should be up to the DHL driver to tell you what the process is, the company should be doing that!
Indeed. I would also have thought that just including a 'what happens next' sheet would be easiest. He did actually ask which courier company had delivered it (is that not visible on the account notes?), apparently different processes depending on which company (which again sounds very odd.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back