Medtronic Extended Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafu123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As regulars will know, I recently started using the Medtronic 780g. I was given the extended infusion sets. I am having so much trouble getting these things to stay on. I no sooner have a new one on when it becomes unstuck and I’m having to change it. Any advice on how to get these to lay? It’s incredibly frustrating.

I have not tried these yet. Are they more lumpy than the other ones?

With my Accu Chek ones which lasted for up to six days I used to put a bit of tape over a curl in the tubing to avoid tugs on the cannula but I found that irritating when disconnecting for showers. I then put tape over the cannula but avoiding the connector.

Out of interest do these come in a variety of styles (90/angled and Teflon/metal)
Do they come with an inserted or is it integrated like with Miao.

I wonder if they have changed the glue. Worth asking.

You could try Skin Tac wipes (you wipe them over the area before you stick the cannula on and they add a layer of glue - stick like billy-o but unfortunately my daughter was allergic to them)
Or maybe try overtaping them with micropore tape or Tegaderm (we found micropore didn’t stick very well)
It might take a bit of experimenting before you find what works best for you, different glues have a vastly different effect on people it seems!

I have not tried these yet. Are they more lumpy than the other ones?

With my Accu Chek ones which lasted for up to six days I used to put a bit of tape over a curl in the tubing to avoid tugs on the cannula but I found that irritating when disconnecting for showers. I then put tape over the cannula but avoiding the connector.

Out of interest do these come in a variety of styles (90/angled and Teflon/metal)
Do they come with an inserted or is it integrated like with Miao.

I wonder if they have changed the glue. Worth asking.
Hi SB2015. They come only in one style. They have an integrated inserter like the Miao. I think the heatwave I have experienced in Northern Ireland has contributed to the issues. It is incredibly frustrating. I had to change my set twice this morning before heading out. Ended up using makeshift tape to keep the latest one on.

So, went on to the Medtronic website and got Skin Tac wipes and the tape they supply for infusion sets. Hoping this will be a success. Something that is great about the extended infusion set is that it can be kept on for 7 days. I tend to just change my insulin every 3 and keep the set in my stomach. This is really helpful as it gives other sights time to heal, and I have a few spare can sets if anything goes wrong.

Does anyone use anything else they find helpful with a Medtronic pump?

So, went on to the Medtronic website and got Skin Tac wipes and the tape they supply for infusion sets. Hoping this will be a success. Something that is great about the extended infusion set is that it can be kept on for 7 days. I tend to just change my insulin every 3 and keep the set in my stomach. This is really helpful as it gives other sights time to heal, and I have a few spare can sets if anything goes wrong.

Does anyone use anything else they find helpful with a Medtronic pump?
Type 1 67 years. With the 640g, I used to knock off the infusion set or sensor frequently due to allotment work and furniture making. I have since used 4” x 5” tapes and haven’t lost one since. I had bad inaccurate CGM results from over use of stomach skin, so put the sensor on my thigh. Results much better but Sensor 3 still not reliable. Finger prick 4-5 times a day. New pump in October, deciding whether to change to T-Slim and compatible CGM. I’ve always given myself a given amount of bolus and then eaten what seems appropriate. I‘ve got good at it. Suddenly very scared about having to count carbs accurately with the 780G. I guess you have to get used to everything with diabetes.
Type 1 since 1956. Pump and CGM NHS funded since about 2000. No hypo awareness. No hypos due to pump automatic turn off when below 3.6. Not sure whether to go 780G or T-Slim?

Type 1 67 years. With the 640g, I used to knock off the infusion set or sensor frequently due to allotment work and furniture making. I have since used 4” x 5” tapes and haven’t lost one since. I had bad inaccurate CGM results from over use of stomach skin, so put the sensor on my thigh. Results much better but Sensor 3 still not reliable. Finger prick 4-5 times a day. New pump in October, deciding whether to change to T-Slim and compatible CGM. I’ve always given myself a given amount of bolus and then eaten what seems appropriate. I‘ve got good at it. Suddenly very scared about having to count carbs accurately with the 780G. I guess you have to get used to everything with diabetes.
Type 1 since 1956. Pump and CGM NHS funded since about 2000. No hypo awareness. No hypos due to pump automatic turn off when below 3.6. Not sure whether to go 780G or T-Slim?
Hi, thanks for replying to the post. Deciding on a new pump is daunting I'm sure. I can give you information on my experiences, and I hope it helps. I started the Medtronic 780G on 15 May this year. I found the setup really good, as my Diabetic Nurse was helpful. She told me all the numbers I have to enter into the pump and we went from there. Carb counting is really beneficial, because when you get all the numbers right in the pump, you will only enter the carbs in, and it will give you a recommended dose. So when all is up and running, this will be the biggest burden you have. I am on the Guardian 4 sensor a week and it has been great. I only have to enter 1 finger prick when I put it on and that is it for the week. I have found it very accurate. The Smartguard feature on the pump has been fantastic for me. It essentially works out my Basel insulin and corrects my blood sugars as need. It can correct sugars up to 12 times per hour, which is more than any other pump from what I know. Basel insulin, and corrections aren't something I think about now as the pump does it for me. I can't recommend it enough. It takes work, but it is worth it.

I am not familiar with the T-Slim at all. I know it loops with Dexcom sensors, and I believe these are great sensors. Perhaps anyone who is reading this could help by giving information about the T-Slim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back