Medtronic 780g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fio62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am new to this forum, My healthcare team recommend I switch to Minimed 780g pump system. I was doing some research before I decided. I have been Type 1 for 40 years with a long history of Hypo's. I have used a different Medtronic pump before for 5 year before Covid, I went back to insulin injections after a hospital stay in April 2020 due to Diabetes. I use a libre 2 sensor which is a life saver due the bleeping noise it makes when your heading into low blood sugar. I know this pump can be used with a SmartGuard sensor. I would love some advise/personal experencies/information, before I decide. Thanks

Hi @Fio62 from a 780G closed loop convert and user for 18 months.

I found the switch difficult as I was moving from another manufacturer so not familiar with Medtronic’s terminology. I previously used a Combo along with a Libre. In spite of the sensors I found that I still had loads of hypos On my old pump as I did not have the auto corrections and switch off with my Combo. I was then offered the 780 and the option of self funding the sensors to use it as closed loop. This has reduced my hypos to about one per week (apart from when I had to adapt to this extreme heat) , and I think about my diabetes a lot less. I am now very used to it, and would not want to be without a closed loop system.

The others I did my training with (via Zoom with someone from Medtronic alongside the DSN who was also learning with us), were already used to the 640 and found the switch a lot easier. The trainer tailored the training to suit us and I ended up 1 to 1 after the first session. She could not have been more helpful. The Pump support team are excellent and we’re very patient helping as I struggled with the switch. There is access to online support but I still tend to phone.

The ordering system for consumables seems to vary, but I have generally had very few problems once things were set up. You will read of others that have had some issues with this. If I want to change my regular orders I have to get my DSN to email them, but that is reasonable since it is them that is paying for those. having read on here the issues that others have had I make sure that I plan ahead and don’t leave things to the last minute. I have got caught out when away on holiday and they have always helped and had stuff delivered to where I was staying.

I self fund my sensors and set up an account with them which gave me access to these at a reduced price. I recently switched from Guardian 3 to Guardian 4 sensors. I am amazed at their claim that you only need one finger prick at the start and that is it. But it is true. One for callibration at the start of a sensor and that is it.

As I said I would always want to be using closed loop now. You will read of irritations using the 780 and also ones from those using the t-slim. No pump is perfect but we each find workarounds that work for us. If you have any questions happy to help. There are now a few of us on here using the 780, or about to start. I think I will start a 780 user thread So that we can help each other out.

Hi @Fio62 from a 780G closed loop convert and user for 18 months.

I found the switch difficult as I was moving from another manufacturer so not familiar with Medtronic’s terminology. I previously used a Combo along with a Libre. In spite of the sensors I found that I still had loads of hypos On my old pump as I did not have the auto corrections and switch off with my Combo. I was then offered the 780 and the option of self funding the sensors to use it as closed loop. This has reduced my hypos to about one per week (apart from when I had to adapt to this extreme heat) , and I think about my diabetes a lot less. I am now very used to it, and would not want to be without a closed loop system.

The others I did my training with (via Zoom with someone from Medtronic alongside the DSN who was also learning with us), were already used to the 640 and found the switch a lot easier. The trainer tailored the training to suit us and I ended up 1 to 1 after the first session. She could not have been more helpful. The Pump support team are excellent and we’re very patient helping as I struggled with the switch. There is access to online support but I still tend to phone.

The ordering system for consumables seems to vary, but I have generally had very few problems once things were set up. You will read of others that have had some issues with this. If I want to change my regular orders I have to get my DSN to email them, but that is reasonable since it is them that is paying for those. having read on here the issues that others have had I make sure that I plan ahead and don’t leave things to the last minute. I have got caught out when away on holiday and they have always helped and had stuff delivered to where I was staying.

I self fund my sensors and set up an account with them which gave me access to these at a reduced price. I recently switched from Guardian 3 to Guardian 4 sensors. I am amazed at their claim that you only need one finger prick at the start and that is it. But it is true. One for callibration at the start of a sensor and that is it.

As I said I would always want to be using closed loop now. You will read of irritations using the 780 and also ones from those using the t-slim. No pump is perfect but we each find workarounds that work for us. If you have any questions happy to help. There are now a few of us on here using the 780, or about to start. I think I will start a 780 user thread So that we can help each other out.
Thank you for all your information which was really useful. I was on a medtronic pump before so know about pre-ordering all the accessories in plenty of time and on a regular basis. Yes I have always found there helpline colleague so nice and helpful when I have phoned them. A lot to think about, before I switch I still have at least 1 Hypo a day due to being very insulin sensitive and pretty active. Nothing with Diabetes is every straight forward it's just a learning curve every day. Trying whats best for yourself. Thanks again

Just to add a point about closed loop and hypos. One has to be aware that, once the sensor has instructed the pump to stop basal delivery, and/or reduce any bolus given, there is not a great deal more that it can do. You still have to take your own avoiding action. Having said that, at my last appointment, the consultant at the pump clinic drew my attention to the fact that, when hypos do occur, they are fairly insignificant.

One has to be aware that, once the sensor has instructed the pump to stop basal delivery, and/or reduce any bolus given, there is not a great deal more that it can do.
I've seen people reporting on dual pump setups which can do more but I think they're experimental and not very near production. (I'm also not that convinced the extra complexity is really worthwhile. As you say, reducing hypos to mostly insignificant feels like a good enough result. I'd certainly not turn down one of the current hybrid loop systems because of that limitation.)

I've seen people reporting on dual pump setups which can do more but I think they're experimental and not very near production. (I'm also not that convinced the extra complexity is really worthwhile. As you say, reducing hypos to mostly insignificant feels like a good enough result. I'd certainly not turn down one of the current hybrid loop systems because of that limitation.)

Yes the snag for a number of years has been that glucagon isn’t stable when in solution - so the glucose-raising element was a bit scuppered.

They still seem to be beavering away at the ‘dual hormone’ pump conundrum though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back