Medtronic 780 with sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfree

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have not been on here for a while but now I am back. Does anyone use a Medtronic 780 with sensors. If anyone does, please could you tell e whaat you think of the system.

I have been using "hybrid closed loop" with a Medtronic 780G and Guardian G3 sensors since February 2021. It is clever technology. Apart from replacing sensors and infusion sets, as well as filling the reservoir, the only thing you have to do is enter carbohydrate intake. It calculates the bolus based on past history, with basal adapted to interstitial glucose readings every five minutes. As the consultant told me, "Apart from that there is nothing I can do and nothing you can do". One has to leave it to get on with management. When I last attended the pump clinic, I was told I had been 96% in range over three months. It does not always get it right. If you go low, the only thing it can do is shut off delivery, so you need to take care of it. I have had occasional difficulties with it giving a low bolus for a meal, letting blood sugar rise above normal, then using Autocorrect to bring it down too far. Even so, the consultant reminded me that I had not experienced any significant hypos when using it.

I have been using the closed loop with the 780 for a year now and would not want to go back.
I have found that:
Positives
- I sleep like a log now and the pump and sensor sort out any lumps and bumps for me
- TIR usually in 90s or 80s on wobbly days
- I can afford to ignore my diabetes between meals as the pump is making any necessary adjustments.
- If I am guessing carbs eg eating out, it will sort out any inaccuracies for me
- There is a temporary target (which replaces Temp basal rates on other pumps) which deals with light exercise.
- No basal rate tests to do as this is being automatically adjusted every 5 minutes through the day and night
- excellent pump support line
- any sensors that fail are always replaced

Negatives
- It took some time to sort out my extended exercise periods (a whole day of walking) and I tell it what it needs to know in order for me to get it to what I want it to. So I have some ‘free’ carbs and don’t tell it as I am walking.
- their ordering system is not brilliant (but then I started during COVID)

It took me a good while to trust the pump and let it get on with its job, but once I handed over I find I don’t have to think about diabetes anywhere near as much as before, apart from at meal times.
I have recently switched to the Guardian 4 sensor and it does what it promises. I need one finger prick at the start and that is it for a week, unless I go hypo which is now rare.

I self fund my sensors and I am pleased that I have been able to do this. Now hoping that it will get funded.

Any questions just ask.

Wow Sue! About time something actually went right for you, for a change. And - how long have I virtually know you - getting on for 20 years by now probably - how utterly and completely ironic it is that it should be Medtronic products which are really assisting you!

Thanks for the replies. I am really looking forward to using it.
Trophywench, I think you have me mixed up with someone else. But thank you for reply.

Wow Sue! About time something actually went right for you, for a change. And - how long have I virtually know you - getting on for 20 years by now probably - how utterly and completely ironic it is that it should be Medtronic products which are really assisting you!
Thanks Jenny. I thought my other equipment was good but I think it played to me wanting to get things ‘right’. Now I do get things on target a lot of the time but with a lot less effort from me. Glad to have had your help along the way.

Sorry @spiritfree just a mild highjack.
I look forward to hearing how you get on and do come back with any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back