Medtronic 780 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobaltblue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
I started CGM in Sept 22 using Medtronic 780 & Gaurdian 4 sensors. My experience is that the CGM sensors often fail & I have replace them sometimes only a few days or hours after I have started them (they are supposed to last a week).This is very difficult, as this happens at very unpredicatble times: sometimes I am at work, out with our young sons or asleep. It is causing me lots of anxiety and it is difficult to plan things, especially travel. I have mentioned this to the Diabetes nurses several times & they tell me to phone Medtronic- which I do & I get through to a call centre. They just send a replacement sensor. But I am wondering if the transmitter is faulty, but no one seems to be able to answer this. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what would you advise?

Hi @Cobaltblue. I'm sorry to hear you've been having a tough time. Hopefully someone will be along soon with more information for you. I have contacted our information team to see if I can find some more advice for you. In the meantime, have you tried calling the Diabetes UK Helpline? We have advisors there who may be able to provide you with some support. You can call us on 0345 123 2399, Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm.

@SB2015 is using the Medtronic 780 with G4 sensors so may be able to comment. I think she has had some problems with a sensors in the recent past.

Generally the sensors have been reliable over the two years that I have been using them. I did have a batch of sensors sensors that finished early, with two finishing after 5 days and one finishing after 1 day. They were all from the same batch.

I have always phoned the Medtronic pump careline (01923 205167) and follow through to pump support and then sensors. Any faulty sensors have been replaced. They also go through some tests to identify if it is the transmitter and have replaced one for me.

it is indeed irritating and inconvenient when things go wrong. I try to think that the system is doing a lot for me and has taken away a lot of the day to day thinking that I was doing before, and I now sleep so much more, so I then try to ride any problems that arise. I do a swap on a Sunday morning. When a sensor fails and they replace it I used to then move my change over day, but now I still change on a Sunday, accepting the lost days (funded by Medtronic effectively). I want things to be as convenient as it can.

The alerts and alarms are irritating and go off at times at the most inconvenient times (worst for me in the middle of a concert I was singing in). However the pump and sensor are making big decisions for me every 5 minutes, so if they are not sure about anything I would prefer that they check with me.

Thanks you @SB2015, @Thomas DUK & @rebrascora. Thanks for the advice. I am sorry to hear that you you have had some difficulties too, but it sounds like they have been relatively infrequent. I think if I had a good run of a month or more without sensors failing, I would have more confidence in it, but I have not had that yet. I am finding it hard to plan things and am really nervous about travelling. I phoned the Diabetes UK helpline on Friday actually & I was advised to put a message on the forum.

Thanks you @SB2015, @Thomas DUK & @rebrascora. Thanks for the advice. I am sorry to hear that you you have had some difficulties too, but it sounds like they have been relatively infrequent. I think if I had a good run of a month or more without sensors failing, I would have more confidence in it, but I have not had that yet. I am finding it hard to plan things and am really nervous about travelling. I phoned the Diabetes UK helpline on Friday actually & I was advised to put a message on the forum.
I am glad the helpline sent you our way.

Changing over and trusting the pump to make decisions is a big step, so it is understandable to be nervous of it. Then having hit a batch a bad sensors at the start hasn’t helped you at all. If your railed sensors were all from the same box do tell them as they are likely to replace the whole box before you try them all. I now make a note of the lot no and the MMT number when I put a sensor in.

I was surprised when I was first diagnosed that simple things like walking into town (20 min) wouod send me hypo without a bit of adjustment and planning. The pump certainly helped with that Using the temp basal rates. Now I use the temp target in Smartguard in the same way.

Is this your first pump? Have you worked in manual before starting with the looping.

Diabetes is with us and won’t go away. We have to find the best way to use the equipment that is available to us to suit us. In the pumping section of this forum there is a sticky for 780 users. It includes tips and work arounds that people have found since using the looping. Do come back with any questions that arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back