Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Sorry if this is a silly question.

I was told by my nurse that as long as my hba1c was below 7 i wouldn't need meds.
Luckily it was 6.0

I have noticed that lots of people on here have hba1c below 7 but are still on meds. Is this because when they started they were above 7, and once on meds are always on them.
Some people have hba1c's in the 5 range (which is really good isn't it) and are still on meds - is that because if they stopped taking meds the hba1c may rise again?

I thought the diet and exercise bought the hba1c down so if still doing that correctly why the need for meds?

Also if my hba1c is 6, and I am doing d/e, is it unlikely I will ever need meds?

As I said, sorry for asking but I still don't understand after 3 months diagnosed!

I think a lot depends on the individual with the meds. If you are high to start with then you need something to bring the numbers down.

We are all individuals, so the need for medications will vary from person to person. Some folks who are able to keep control through diet and exercise don't need meds for a long time.

Also no question is silly, if you need to kow, you need to know, so please keep asking and someone will be along before long and help you.

Thanks Caroline for the reply, but I am still very confused.
In what way is it individual. If my nurse said my hba1c had to be below 7 to avoid meds, surely that wasn't just personal to me? is that not the norm for all?

Also, why would one person with a hba1c of 5.x be on meds and someone with 6.x not be? Its what determines the need for meds I am just not grasping.

Sorry but it is going round and around in my mind - and just need to understand.
I don't want to be on meds at all, but want to understand when it could happen.

Thanks again

When I was diagnosed I was (still am) overweight. I was put onto metformin to bring the numbers down and because it is an appetite supresent so will help me loose weight.

there are lots of newly diagnosed people who are their right wieigh or who are underwieght so wont need medication for a while.

Different foods affect us as individuals in different ways. Porridge for example will have no effect on one persons glucose levels, but will make another go sky high.

I'm not sure I have explained it well, I'm sure somoen else will be along and explain it better. Diabetes is not an exact science and one size doesn't fit all. There are any number of variables.

Hi Lucy,

I was diagnosed nearly ten years ago when my HbA1c was still only 5.7%. I didn't go onto metformin medication until about seven years later and that was because my HbA1c had reached 9.4%. Around twelve months later my GP doubled the dose of metformin because my HbA1c was still at 8.5%.

After that, I learnt what to do to control my blood glucose levels by starting to test and changing my diet to eat less starchy carbohydrate - i.e. cereal, bread, potaotoes, pasta, rice, pizza etc. Since doing that my HbA1c has dropped from 8.5% to 5.0% in steps as shown in my signature.

Despite that improvement my GP would have left me on the metformin medication. However, I have been pushing to get off the medications that I take and my GP recently halved my metformin dosage from 2000mg to 1000mg per day - he has also cut one of my blood pressure medications by half and then by half again - also my simvastatin medication from 40mg to 20mg. I am due to go back to have my tests re-done with a view to my medications being reduced further. Personally, I think that I will eventually be able to get off most of the medications that I take. However, I don't think that my GP would have done any of this if it hadn't been for me being proactive and pushing. I think that he may very well have left me on all the medications at the same dosages.

If you are doing all the right things and you manage to keep your HbA1c at 6% or below then, in my opinion, it is unlikely that the healthcare professionals will suggest you going onto metformin medication.

As far as I am concerned, diet is the key to achieving good control. I've written in some detail as to how I have changed my situation and a lot of it is on this forum. You may find this thread to be of some use to you:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=6435

Don't be frightened to ask questions because that is the only way that you will learn. You'll receive a lot of help on these diabetes forums.

I wish that I'd taken control while I was at the stage that you are now. I waited too long before I started to learn how to deal with my Type 2 problem.

Good luck and best wishes - John

Last edited:
Also, some medication does have some helpful side-benefits. For instance, I understand that metformin has a statistically significant protective effect against heart disease.

So, if you've already been taking it to control the blood sugars, there isn't a great push to take you off it again.

However, personally, I took that choice and stopped taking it. Only time will tell whether that was a reasonable choice or not.

Andy 🙂

I think you hit the nail on the head re the weight element.
I have lost 3 stone but have another 6 to go and am starting to find it really difficult despite doing all the exercise my body can take and sticking rigidly to the diet. I jsut keep thinking i need help with the remainder and wonder why if I had 9 stone to lost in June when diagnosed, nothing was mentioned about meds!

If I had had my hba1c tested as soon as diagnosed I can guarantee it would have been v high, by being absolutely perfect for 3 months i got it down to 6, but wonder if I would have benefitted from meds?

I really don't want to go on meds, but if they would help.

Thanks all,

I think it has just hit me that although lost 3 stone it seems to be halting and I have another 6 to go and am finding it harder and harder to stick to the diet, and have noticed because of this more spikes. It all seems impossible and a bit much today!

Maybe I just need to kick my bum!

My HbA1c was "only" 7.1 on diagnosis but because I had started my healthy eating in the May and was diagnosed 4 months later the nurse took the decision to start me on medication straight away. My HbA1c has now come down to 5.4 (see other thread...) and I am on 2 x 500mg. I did discuss with the nurse about coming off the medication and she said no but did agree I can reduce it to 1 x 500mg... My nurse would rather have me on tablets with an HbA1c in the 5s than off tablets and my HbA1c rising to say mid 6s...

Regarding meds you will have to discuss with your healthcare team but personally I would try and stay off them for as long as possible but that is just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back