• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Medipal ID cards

Steve

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all i am thinking about getting a medipal ID card and was just after some feedback from people who have already got one to see what they are like.

I have medic-alert bracelet and with it they send every year a wallet card which I put in my wallet. It has my name, emergency contact details and that I have insulin treated diabetes.

You can pick them up for free from diabetes clinics as the drug companies make them. it won't have as much details as ones you pay for.

Or you could make your own then you can choose what info you have on it.

It would be cheaper to make your own medical ID card to slip into a passpurse or wallett. I have seen commercial ones and think they are a brilliant idea. It is an accurate record of your medical conditin and the medication you are on. I wear a bracelett and am thinking of making my own medical identity card.

Hi Steve,

I too have a medic-alert dog tag, plus they supply a wallet card stuffed full of your medical information, its an annual subscription service, as a medic can call the medic-alert number, quote your unique number and get the full medical details, sometimes some of your medical conditions you don't want accessible to everyone.

As for the medical ID cards, I'd suggest printing your own and laminating it, if you're using an A4 sheet print a number of them, but remember to make them smaller than a credit card.

When they've been laminated cut to size, you then have your medical record as you want it and a few copies of it as well. Often worth leaving one in your car, laptop bag and wallet(s)/purse(s).

As previously discussed though, its still down to a medic taking the time to locate the information about you.

Hi

If you want medicalert you can get the yearly subscription free if you are on DLA, they do like a donation though. They keep details of you incase of emergencies.

At the moment I shall stick to my Talisman.

It has been proposed that a USB keyfob will be available which not only lets paramedics know your medical probs and medications but will give access to your medical records.
I should think that this will be well into the future.

At the moment I shall stick to my Talisman.

It has been proposed that a USB keyfob will be available which not only lets paramedics know your medical probs and medications but will give access to your medical records.
I should think that this will be well into the future.

I have seen usb stick ones on sale on med id websites, they attach to a bracelet, of course it doesn't give access to medical records yet! I've been unsure of them so far as I don't know how useful they would be in an emergency, would a paramedic have the facility to 'plug it in'. I guess it's one of those things that may take off when it becomes more commonly used.

I have made my own ID card which I keep in my pocket. I have an ID bracelet (made by my friend, arrived yesterday so very excited by it!) which just has my name and 'type 1 diabetes' engraved on it, my theory being that's enough for an emergency and would hopefully encourage paramedics to search for the card in my wallet.

right now USB sticks with your info on would be pretty near useless. After the spate of public sector records going missing, the NHS is on a clampdown with security.

So shortly, it will not be possible to read a non-NHS usb stick on an NHS computer.

right now USB sticks with your info on would be pretty near useless. After the spate of public sector records going missing, the NHS is on a clampdown with security.

So shortly, it will not be possible to read a non-NHS usb stick on an NHS computer.

Hence my last statement.

At the moment we have the overkill situation where a consultant in a neighbouring health trust cannot interlink with your own.
Thankfully this is now being addressed

Back