Medications

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have tried to avoid meds since diagnosis a few years ago for Type 2 - readings high but stable. Tried to lose weight
Eventually started on metformin about 18 months ago , no weight loss despite following a healthy eating plan , walking, aquafit x 2 & gym/ weight classes x 2 weekly .
Was given another tablet Canagliflozin and been taking it for 3 months - no weight change . A friend was given Dapagliflozin alongside his metformin lost nearly 2 stones in 4months .
Does anyone have any experience with these meds above helping weight loss
Seriously thinking about Mounjaro - so frustrated at not losing any weight
Thanks in advance

Hi
I have tried to avoid meds since diagnosis a few years ago for Type 2 - readings high but stable. Tried to lose weight
Eventually started on metformin about 18 months ago , no weight loss despite following a healthy eating plan , walking, aquafit x 2 & gym/ weight classes x 2 weekly .
Was given another tablet Canagliflozin and been taking it for 3 months - no weight change . A friend was given Dapagliflozin alongside his metformin lost nearly 2 stones in 4months .
Does anyone have any experience with these meds above helping weight loss
Seriously thinking about Mounjaro - so frustrated at not losing any weight
Thanks in advance
I suspect the healthy eating plan could be at fault.
For decades I followed GP printouts of healthy diets and end up almost spherical and deep into diabetes.
What is a typical day's menu for you?

It can be so disheartening when it doesn’t happen for you. The drugs you are on aren’t known for weight loss. I suspect your healthy eating plan is at fault. I followed nhs guidelines on low fat, low calories and high carbs for years leading to full blown diabetes and health problems.
I didn’t lose weight till I cut my carb intake down to 50-75gms daily. Usually around 60.
I lost 9k but have since hit a plateau. I’m not over eating but can probably tighten up a little but have chosen to increase my exercise instead.
Can you tell us more about your diet.

Hi
Thanks - I was told years ago on diagnosis by practice nurse to eat everything brown - rice, bread, pasta . I have since learnt to lower carbs, eat more protein , eat 3 balanced meals a day .

Hi
Thanks - I was told years ago on diagnosis by practice nurse to eat everything brown - rice, bread, pasta . I have since learnt to lower carbs, eat more protein , eat 3 balanced meals a day .
Unfortunately some of the advice given by the GP surgery does people no favours as even the brown versions have the same high carbs as the white so well done for taking action and reducing the carbs and having protein. The link the the Freshwell program explains why it was developed by that GP surgery as the standard NHS advice was not helping their patients. Hopefully it may give you ideas for some improvement in your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

@JANeedtoloseweight welcome to the forum.My BG was 69 at end of June and 64 on second test. As initially i was told my cholestral was a bit high i ditched potentially bad stuff and ate fish veg eggs and cheese. Generally full fat yoghurt and berries for breakfast. I have been fat for years but started losing 2 lb a week and was astounded when my trousers fell down. I started on metformin 500 then 1000 until fourth week taking 2000. It blunted my appetite. I started being bunged up but by 4 tablets was loser. I was then put on dagaplifozen on basis in addition to its function in diabetes it is good for cardiovascular health. Im not sure how good it is. Before i was diagnosed i was peeing a lot at night. Metformin sorted it and i slept better but i am peeing more with the new med. Additionally i have had a couple of nasty episodes of diarrhoa and some less bad. I dont know if it is the metformin or the other drug. I raised it with HCP who seemed unconcerned and added a statin to the tally. I have had a horrendous cold for almost three weeks and sinusitis. I chose not to start the statin until the Sunday after it was prescribed because of the awful diarrhoea the previous day and horrible cold. The recent diarrhoea hasn't been as bad. I couldn't get a straight answer as to the amount of carbs I needed with the new drug. I was eating 88 to 130. I have upped it. I haven't lost any more weight but I haven't put any on. I still haven't sent my cold packing and I have an eye op at the end of the month with oral steroids for two weeks. I have lost a stone and a half which is a bonus. I cannot say if the new drug helps weight loss. It hasn't helped me but I have been feeling unwell with my cold.
Low carb after a lifetime of different eating has helped me. I just hope the steroids don't increase my weight but it is only 14 days. I don't know what weight you want or need to lose but suggest you talk to your doctor. We all react differently to drugs.

I haven't tried Mounjaro, but Ive heard good things about it :confused: Maybe it's worth looking into? I know it's a big decision, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sorry to hear you've not seen as much weight loss as you were hoping for @JANeedtoloseweight

Reactions to meds do seem to be fairly individual. Of the T2 meds currently in vogue, the ones I can think of that seem to have the most established reputation for weight loss and appetite suppression are Ozempic and Rybelsus (though these have been mired in shortages for a while).

Many folks on the forum have found weight loss (and BG improvements) followed a reduction in their total carbohydrate intake - reducing portions of both white and brown carbs.

Others have opted for a shorter-term 8-12 week 'soup and shake' very low calorie intervention now being rolled out as the NHS Path To Remission project.

Good luck with finding a method that works for you.

Back