Medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi good morning to you all, my question is do we have to take medication when we are type 2 ? Is there any other way to control diabetes I am fed up of putting medication into my body . Any ideas as I really want to come off medication

You could try changing your diet @Smile That, weight loss and exercise can help. Having said that, some people do need medication through no fault of their own.

If you read around the forum @Smile you will find that there are four basic approaches to getting blood glucose under control.

Stripped to the bare bones, these are:

1. Loose weight if you are overweight. Does not matter how you do it.
  2. Eat less carbohydrate.
  3. Do more exercise
  4. Take medication.
Quite what is the best approach for any individual depends very much on them and what is fundamentally causing the poor glucose control.

For me, a slimish type 2 who is getting on a bit, I have found that a bit of everything taken together has been the best approach. By losing a little bit of weight, moving to a moderate carb diet, keeping up with sensible exercise and taking some pills has got the balance about right. My monitoring is suggesting that my next HbA1c will have gone up and I will be happy with taking some more pills to get it back down.

Hi good morning to you all, my question is do we have to take medication when we are type 2 ? Is there any other way to control diabetes I am fed up of putting medication into my body . Any ideas as I really want to come off medication

Is the medication causing any side effects?

I believe if the fasting glucose & hba1c is below a certain level, your GP might recommend stopping medication. This means having good control through diet and/or weight loss and exercise.

I was told last month I could stop mine if I wanted to 'see what happens'. (I'm only on 500mg of Metformin.)

I have no side effects from the tablet, and if it's helping a little bit, I decided to keep it for now, but may stop next time I have blood test if the results are still good.

When diagnosed I simply cut back on the carbohydrate in my diet. Six months later I was at a Hba1c of 41, which is normal.
Other things changed as I felt better, but as type 2 diabetes is an inability to deal with carbohydrate, using low carb to get back to normal seemed to be a pretty obvious ploy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back