Medication Used to Control BG in Type2 May Also Reduce the Risk of Autoimmune Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors commonly used to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes may also reduce the risk of autoimmune diseases in these patients, according to research presented this week at the American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting in San Diego.

Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors (commonly called DPP-4 inhibitors) such as linagliptin (Tradjenta?), saxagliptin (Onglza?), and sitagliptin (Januvia?) are approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Researchers recently studied how often people with type 2 diabetes taking a DPP-4 inhibitor developed autoimmune diseases -- such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, inflammatory bowel disease, psoriasis and multiple sclerosis -- when compared to those not taking one.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131027122911.htm

I was a bit disappointed with my consultant at my last appointment. We were discussing the possible origins of my weird version of diabetes and I said my dad has psoriasis, also an autoimmune disease like Type 1. He didn't know that! 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back