Medication upped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jd 76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
So for the last week I have been on 1 metformin per day. I had a phone call with the nurse at my practice and the outcome is I have to up my metformin to 2 a day next week, then 3 the week after and then 4 the week after that.

Is this a usual thing that’s done?

So for the last week I have been on 1 metformin per day. I had a phone call with the nurse at my practice and the outcome is I have to up my metformin to 2 a day next week, then 3 the week after and then 4 the week after that.

Yes - that is usually on the pack when first prescribes I think - it was on mine and a couple of others who were at the 'education' meetings when first diagnosed.
I never managed to take two on two consecutive days, I had an awful reaction, but some have no reaction at all. It seems to be something with no rhyme or reason to it.

It is usual but if when increasing the dose it causes you any problems then I would not increase to 3 without speaking to the nurse. Some people tolerate a low dose but it can be a problem when increased. There is a slow release version if needed.
Are you also making dietary changes as that is a good idea even taking the medication, it does not magic away the carbohydrates in your meals.
What is your HbA1C.

It is usual but if when increasing the dose it causes you any problems then I would not increase to 3 without speaking to the nurse. Some people tolerate a low dose but it can be a problem when increased. There is a slow release version if needed.
Are you also making dietary changes as that is a good idea even taking the medication, it does not magic away the carbohydrates in your meals.
What is your HbA1C.
Yes I have made dietary changes, my HbA1c was 85

My Metformin dose started as 1 a day for a week then increased to 1 twice a day. I had issues with taking the 2nd tablet and started taking both tablets at the same time. I’ve now been increased to 2 twice a day and been told to take them with food. I’m on the slow release version and have only been taking them with food.

I also started on one tablet per day for a week, then onto two per day.

I will be going up to three per day in a couple of days and so far no issues with taking them.

Mine are the slow release version so hopefully it will stay with having no issues.

You could always fade in the increases more gradually @Jd 76 - wait an extra week or 2 before adding the extra tablet, if you start getting an upset stomach?

Ask your nurse if that might help.

Gradually increasing the doses over a number of weeks does week to keep the gastric upheaval to a minimum.

Yes it's normal to steadily increase the dose of Metfartin. 500 and 1000 are just loading doses and to ease you in regarding the possible gastric consequences.1500 is the minimum effective dose and 2000 the standard dose. 2500 doesn't add any significant value to 2000. Weekly rises look a bit quick tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back