Medication tablets/liquid/sachets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry W

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Because of a Stroke I have difficulty swallowing so I was getting the liquid Metformin, the liquid became hard to get by the pharmacy so they gave me sachets to mix in water. Now they say the sachets are hard to get and I must take it in tablet form and crush it. Problem is, it says on the leaflet "must be taken whole" but the doctor has told me to crush them. Any advice or views on this please?

If they are slow release metformin the effect of them being slow release will be compromised but I assume the liquid or sachets would not have been a slow release format so you may be fine but check with the pharmacist rather than go by what the doctor has said.
Slow release are prescribed as they are gentler on the stomach.

I would double check with the pharmacist as they should be able to tell you if that is appropriate for the form of metformin you have. I hope you find a suitable way to get your meds.

No stroke, however do have a gag/vomit problem with taking pills. Was just looking the other day to see if I could get liquid or even injectable versions of my meds. No useful info I'm afraid, but hope that your situation improves
Hi Robert, think I have solved my problem. I bought a tablet grinder and put my tablets in it and it grinds them to vety small particles, then I put them in water with a little fruit juice, and down they go.

Got mine from Amazon, a big stainless steel one with a big handle.........it does an amazing job

No stroke, however do have a gag/vomit problem with taking pills. Was just looking the other day to see if I could get liquid or even injectable versions of my meds. No useful info I'm afraid, but hope that your situation improves
It can help to take tablets with something thicker like milk or to put the tablet in a spoon of yogurt. It makes it easier to swallow. The pill grinder is a good idea but do check with the pharmacist about your pills being suitable for that and make sure your GP is aware. It’s also possible to get a SALT (speech and language therapist) referral for swallowing problems - they’re not just for speech and language issues.

Yes, some areas have a 'swallowing clinic' to help, my brother in law sees someone for help following treatment for cancer of the base of the tongue as the radiotherapy has made it difficult.

My mum always used to grind pills between 2 teaspoons. I always take my pills with a Benecol mini cholesterol lowering drink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back