Medication, mood swings .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickiebob89

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
:( Hi all.. is anyone else finding metformin has severe side effects? i have been taking 500mg twice daily and i look like im 6 months pregnant (which im not!!) lol.. i feel sluggish and bloated. Its rock hard.. all the doctors are saying is its normal when your on metformin..??

I feel sick all the time and have got moody and miserable and pretty fed up. I think this whole thing is taking its toll. Its jus seems so unfair.

Nickiebobx

Hi Nickiebob, welcome to the forum🙂 I think that the side effects you are experiencing are very common when you first start taking metformin, but they should subside after a couple of weeks. If they don't then don't suffer, ask your doctor for an alternative (there is a slow release version called Glucophage SR, and a liquid version which seem to be better for some people)

I have gliclizide in a morning an metformin at am/lunch. i hope your right. Ive been taking them since december an it dont seem to be changing.. ?? who knows x

I take metformin and gliclizade. the symptoms you have should have subsided by now, so go have a chat to your doctor. It maybe you need the slow release version. In the meantime, something like peppermint tea or ginger tea will help settle your tummy.

I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Nickiebob, I had dreadful upset tummy problems when I was on the usual Metformin pills so I'm now on the slow release ones Northerner wrote about and everything is SO much better. It costs more, which is why some GPs don't want to put you on it, and the tablets are like great big horse pills but they have made all the difference to my medication. I am also on gliclazide (1000mg Metformin twice a day and 160mg glic twice a day).

However, my hubby is Type 2 and is on the old type Metformin and they had the opposite effect on him - made him so constipated he was really bloated but that has now settled down (he's on 500mg twice a day).

I suggest that you talk to your diabetic surgery nurse/Dr and see if they can find something which helps you better. Good luck.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back