Medication issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've noticed quite a few posts recently with people having difficulty getting medications - some real horror stories. My otherwise excellent GP surgery has its own pharmacy and in 24 years there had never been a problem until this September. They haven't been able to get my Diverticulitis medication since then, but I have been able to order it online (at a cost). The Dapagliflozin and Latanoprost was also unavailable, so I ended up making an emergency order in October when supplies supposedly did become available. This month the Linagliptin was unavailable, but my collection contained 3 months Dapagliflozin and 2 months Latanoprost. I asked why and was told it was because I hadn't picked them up. This didn't wash as I had been in twice for emergency pickups and a regular pick up. Turns out they had been sitting in the wrong surgery all the time.
Speaking to the dispenser, I was told they have been having a nightmare time trying to get medications, or finding suitable alternatives and/or suppliers. Then trying to catch up with missed patient deliveries to the correct surgeries. No wonder there were a few errors. So I must be patient and make another emergency order when my Linagliptin runs out in10 days time.

I've noticed quite a few posts recently with people having difficulty getting medications - some real horror stories. My otherwise excellent GP surgery has its own pharmacy and in 24 years there had never been a problem until this September. They haven't been able to get my Diverticulitis medication since then, but I have been able to order it online (at a cost). The Dapagliflozin and Latanoprost was also unavailable, so I ended up making an emergency order in October when supplies supposedly did become available. This month the Linagliptin was unavailable, but my collection contained 3 months Dapagliflozin and 2 months Latanoprost. I asked why and was told it was because I hadn't picked them up. This didn't wash as I had been in twice for emergency pickups and a regular pick up. Turns out they had been sitting in the wrong surgery all the time.
Speaking to the dispenser, I was told they have been having a nightmare time trying to get medications, or finding suitable alternatives and/or suppliers. Then trying to catch up with missed patient deliveries to the correct surgeries. No wonder there were a few errors. So I must be patient and make another emergency order when my Linagliptin runs out in10 days time.

The meds I cillect from my nominated pharmacy are very common (basic thyroid and a very common BP med), but I also take T3, which is much less commonly prescribed, so it is always an order-in product (even though I have it every month and unlikely to stop needing it).

Until the last couple of months, it was always the same manufacturer, but of late I've seen some weird and wonderful names. So far, I haven't had any issues with them (unlike a couple of brands of Levothyroxine which don't agree with me). I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed.

The Liothyronine is expensive, so "cheapest on the day" might also be entering the arena.

My GP run pharmacy couldn't get Fiasp Penfill cartridges a couple of weeks ago so I had to accept the disposable FlexPens as an alternative.

You should not have to buy medication online if your pharmacy can't get it. What should happen is that they should give you a prescription for that particular medication and you should be able to hawk it around all the other pharmacies in the area to try to get it. When HRT was in short supply a few years ago, I sat at home and rang round all the local pharmacies for it and then when I found one that had some I asked them to hold it for me and took my prescription to them. It is a bit of a faff but ultimately better than being without. Sometimes the smaller independent pharmacies will have more luck at sourcing something than the larger franchises as those are tied into contracts with particular wholesalers so they can't shop around and if their supplier is out they just have to wait till it comes back in. You might even be able to try a hospital pharmacy if you fail to source whatever you need through normal pharmacies, but you have to make sure your pharmacy give you a prescription for whatever they can't supply, so that you can try to get it filled elsewhere.

I have been on Victoza for some time. Am seeing the diabetic nurse tomorrow. Now Victoza is unavailable. could someone tell me a decent alternative? I don't want to be fobbed off by her with something, when there is a better drug. Thank you.

I have been on Victoza for some time. Am seeing the diabetic nurse tomorrow. Now Victoza is unavailable. could someone tell me a decent alternative? I don't want to be fobbed off by her with something, when there is a better drug. Thank you.
It might be helpful if you can tell people what medication you have tried up to this point and what dietary measures you have taken as that can impact medication options. Also what is your most recent HbA1c result. There is no one medication which is better than another, just what is better for each individual in their particular situation.

Sorry to hear what a tough time you’ve been having getting hold of meds @Felinia and @LizHolland :(

Must be so frustrating and worrying for you.

Nooooo *yawn* Just name a drug.
Just to highlight, the community can’t recommend drugs/alternatives for you. It may be best to speak to your GP regarding this. Also we want to be respectful to everyone and help them in any way we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back