Medication Cooling Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark (T1)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I have just started to use insulin and will be travelling abroad in a few weeks time.
Could anyone recommend the best way to travel with insulin?
Thanks,
Mark Davies

Insulin is fine at room temperature for up to 30 days.
Unless you are going away for longer than 30 days or intend to spend long period of the day outside in direct sunlight for long periods, you do not need cool bag for insulin.
As @Bruce Stephens recommends, Frio are a common solution if you are going somewhere hot.

I travel frequently for pleasure and business. On a recent trip to Dubai, I needed no insulin cooling bag as I spent most of the time in air conditioning.
On a hiking and camping trip to Morocco (no electricity, let alone air con or refrigerator), I used a Frio wallet.
On a trekking trip in Nepal where I woke to find snow on my tent, I kept my insulin warm next to my body inside my sleeping bag overnight.

Hi,
I have just started to use insulin and will be travelling abroad in a few weeks time.
Could anyone recommend the best way to travel with insulin?
Thanks,
Mark Davies
Just put it in your bag. If you’re going somewhere very hot put it in a frio pouch in your bag.

Just put it in your bag. If you’re going somewhere very hot put it in a frio pouch in your bag.
That's fine Lucy - except if the journey is by plane and the 'bag' is going to be carried in the hold! Never never put insulin in your hold luggage - always in your hand baggage to stay with you, before, during and after the flight.

That's fine Lucy - except if the journey is by plane and the 'bag' is going to be carried in the hold! Never never put insulin in your hold luggage - always in your hand baggage to stay with you, before, during and after the flight.
I would call the bag I put in a hold a suitcase, and didn’t say to put it in your suitcase! The bag I carry on my back with me where you put the insulin is just called a bag.

That was not 100% apparent, Lucy. Hence, I merely attempted to make it 100% apparent.

My cousin was going away and it was near her birthday the shop here has pouches/ bags which i bought and she found that really useful. You can always put a cooling pack in and the hotel had a fridge they allowed her to use when she was there. Have a nice holiday. Enjoy.

Thanks you all for your replies. I have had a look at the Frio pushes and will be ordering one later. Appreciate all replies. Thanks, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back