Medication causing High sugar results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B Anderson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am on Tamsulosin and have noticed my blood sugar is rising trying to keep sugars down.Has anyone else noticed their sugars rising with Tamsulosin.

Welcome @B Anderson Are you on any medication for the diabetes? Google tells me Tamsulosin can raise blood sugar. It might be you need to adjust your diabetes meds and/or your diet to offset this.

Hi @B Anderson and welcome to the forum.

I have been taking Tamsulosin (along with finasteride) for a number of years but cannot provide a before and after comparison. That said, I do not think it has much effect and if it does then effect is small.

For me, tamsulosin has been so effective in dealing with prostrate issues that it would take a big increase in blood glucose for me to consider not taking it.

What are your blood glucose levels and by how big a rise do you think the tamsulosin is causing?

Hi @B Anderson and welcome to the forum.

I have been taking Tamsulosin (along with finasteride) for a number of years but cannot provide a before and after comparison. That said, I do not think it has much effect and if it does then effect is small.

For me, tamsulosin has been so effective in dealing with prostrate issues that it would take a big increase in blood glucose for me to consider not taking it.

What are your blood glucose levels and by how big a rise do you think the tamsulosin is causing?
I was in the 7 and eights in the morning. At the moment testing 12 and 13.

How long have you been taking the Tamsulosin and how long have your levels been higher? Many of us have indulged in carbier foods over the Christmas period which has impacted our levels adversely and I am just starting to regain my previous good levels. Another thing to consider is that you might be coming down with something. There are lots of colds/flu/covid viruses circulating widely at the moment. I got Covid mid Nov and 2 days before I got any symptoms my levels went through the roof and I had to increase my insulin doses dramatically to manage them, so if it has just been the last couple of days that your levels have been high, it's possible you are coming down with something, rather than it being the medication.

I am on Tamsulosin and have noticed my blood sugar is rising trying to keep sugars down.Has anyone else noticed their sugars rising with Tamsulosin.
Not familiar with Tamsulosin. But the anti-psychotics I've been taking for 30 years have a side effect of weight gain. And diabetes means first thing you've got to do is lose the weight as I was told by the Diabetic Nurse. Another med I take slows my matabolism down. I'm onto a loser even before I start. So to answer your question, sort of. Meds can be an issue.

Yes medications can raise your bs, We were taught this in diabetes classes, I would talk to an endocrinologist they know more about diabetes. You may have to adjust your diabetes medications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back