Medication advice sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I was put on Sukkarto (a slow release Metformin) but it caused severe nausea. I spoke with my DSN last Friday 22 Jan, and after some discussion she suggested trying Canagliflozine (brand name Invokana). We did also discuss Gliclazide but she said I would have to finger prick 8 times a day, plus every time before driving, as it causes Hypos. This is something I wanted to avoid. The DSN messaged my GP to get authorisation, and promptly went on holiday.
The GP responded back to the message on the Monday, stating I should have Gliclazide, which I had already said I did not want if it meant it affected my ability to drive and needed constant monitoring. Of course the DNS has not seen the message, so when I went to pick up the Invokana on Wednesday I was told there was no prescription. My GP is also off for the rest of the week.
So a message was put through to the duty doctor, who promptly issued a repeat prescription for the medication that had been discontinued. So this morning, still no medication. I spoke to Dispensary and the Patient Care assistant, and we left it that I would have a phone consult with my DSN when she returned next week and had a chance to liaise with the GP. The GP might have a good reason for saying no to Invokana, and I would like to know why.
Then I spoke to my next door neighbour who is on Gliclazide, and he said he didn't have to monitor daily and before driving. Now I am confused and would like to ask members who are on either Gliclazide or Invokana of their experiences with the drugs, and if they had to monitor. It seems that every medication causes nausea, and I am particularly susceptible

Well when I was put on it I was immediately given the leaflet on testing before driving, a monitor, and prescribed the strips. He really should be testing before driving.
It works by stimulating your pancreas to produce more Insulin.

Your neighbour is breaking the law and is not insured to drive if going out without testing, should carry testing kit and hypo treatment with him when driving - maybe you'd better tell him.

Your neighbour is breaking the law and is not insured to drive if going out without testing, should carry testing kit and hypo treatment with him when driving - maybe you'd better tell him.
Where are you finding this information? It isn’t correct, you only need to notify DVLA if taking insulin, or if have certain complications.

On the information about Gliclazide which turned up when I searched - it can cause hypos.
I never wrote that the DVLA needs to be informed - but the driver is responsible for testing and treating hypos. Not doing so would invalidate insurance - which could put a driving licence in jeopardy if there was to be a problem.

Last edited:
Where are you finding this information? It isn’t correct, you only need to notify DVLA if taking insulin, or if have certain complications.
It’s correct that you don’t need to inform the DVLA, but it is a separate issue about whether you need to test. I’ll have a look, I’m sure somewhere it says you should test if you are on Gliclazide.
Edit,
Here, Doctors are supposed to tell you to monitor if you are on gliclazide, and provide monitoring equipment.(you have to scroll a fair way down to get to the right section) 'Diabetes treated by medication other than insulin'

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. This does correspond to what the DSN told me about Gliclazide, and the link given by lucyr. Nothing was said about providing a monitor or strips, although I did finance my own 18 months ago. I think I now need to find out more about Invokana, and which option causes the least nausea. I really do not want to go down the rigorous monitoring route if there are suitable alternatives and might have to stick with Sukkarto if it is the least nauseous.

Thanks everyone. This does correspond to what the DSN told me about Gliclazide, and the link given by lucyr. Nothing was said about providing a monitor or strips, although I did finance my own 18 months ago. I think I now need to find out more about Invokana, and which option causes the least nausea. I really do not want to go down the rigorous monitoring route if there are suitable alternatives and might have to stick with Sukkarto if it is the least nauseous.
I had my strips taken off my prescription last year as I am no longer on Gliclazide, though I had not been on it for a few years, but only got 50 a month.

I took max dose Gliclazide for years and was never warned to test. It can cause hypos but really only if your beta cells are in good state and then you have to question why you are taking Gliclazide as it's best suited to those with failing beta cells. It's behaviour is fairly predictable once you start it and not like insulin which you really must test for. I never had any nausea with any of my tablets.

Hello,

i am on Metformin 2000mg (4 x 500mg), Invokana 1 x 300mg and Glicizide 2 x 80mg.

However, i avoided taking two tablets of glycizide the one at night for fear
of going hypo in the morning and living away from home, nobody to help me out.
But I am now back on two 80mg of Glicizide but take one tablet at breakfast and one at lunchtime. I think you need eat something with Glicizide.

i take Metformin in the morning and evening so now would be very rare to have a hypo in the morning.

The Invokana I take 300mg in the morning, I am not sure but is it supposed to stabilise BS, not sure please check.

Sorry about the typos.

I so wanted to go off Glicizide as heard about going hypo with it, but was on max Metformin which was not working for me anymore.

Hello,

i am on Metformin 2000mg (4 x 500mg), Invokana 1 x 300mg and Glicizide 2 x 80mg.

However, i avoided taking two tablets of glycizide the one at night for fear
of going hypo in the morning and living away from home, nobody to help me out.
But I am now back on two 80mg of Glicizide but take one tablet at breakfast and one at lunchtime. I think you need eat something with Glicizide.

i take Metformin in the morning and evening so now would be very rare to have a hypo in the morning.

The Invokana I take 300mg in the morning, I am not sure but is it supposed to stabilise BS, not sure please check.

Sorry about the typos.
That seems a very high level of medication, as I was only on one 1000gm Sukkarto (slow release Metformin) and I had bad nausea. Do you get any side effects from your high level of medication?

Yes diarrhoea, sometimes dizziness, nauseating but continue on as needs must.

I'm on 2000mg of metformin, 25mg of empagliflozin (a gliflozin like canogliflozin), 60mg gliclizide and 5mg of linagliptin. I haven't really experienced any side effects from any of them, apart from a bit of bloating after first taking metformin.
Gliclizide can cause hypos, I was given a test kit and get strips every month on prescription. I have not had a single hypo since taking it.
I dont go as low carb as others, probably between 120g and 175g a day. Some days less.

I agree my carbs are through the roof.

It doesnt help that I did not know that most good has carbs, but am wary and know now.

You are on a bit of medicine too and am glad your carb intake is working for you.

I think if you exercise to that can make a difference with carb being burned as energy?

I am interested in your other medicine lingagliptin?

I agree my carbs are through the roof.

It doesnt help that I did not know that most good has carbs, but am wary and know now.

You are on a bit of medicine too and am glad your carb intake is working for you.

I think if you exercise to that can make a difference with carb being burned as energy?

I am interested in your other medicine lingagliptin?
Linagliptin helps you produce more insulin, I've only been on it a few weeks.
As for exercise I average 20000 steps most days at work and regularly go for lengthy walks, anything up to 26 miles.

Thanks for lots more helpful information. I can't stand or walk for more than a few minutes, so my exercise was in the swimming pool 4 times a week. Of course that is all closed now, so I am reduced to chair or bed exercises (I can't get up off the floor!!!). I'm one of those unfortunate people who seem to get side effects from every medication - most antibiotics certainly. I try and keep my carbs between 75gm and 90gm, but don't panic of I go a bit over, as they are still low. I'm waiting for both my DSN and GP to come back from holiday next week to ty and sort out my medication. I might end up sticking with Sukkarto, to avoid the Gliptins and constant monitoring. I'll just have to put up with the feeling of morning sickness every day!

Linagliptin helps you produce more insulin, I've only been on it a few weeks.
As for exercise I average 20000 steps most days at work and regularly go for lengthy walks, anything up to 26 miles.
I cutting back on my carbs and ideally want to reduce Glicizide, so will speak to my GP.

your walking is superb, that is really good going, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back