Medical Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Dog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi Everyone, does anyone know if there is any medical Insurance available in the UK for diabetics or has that boat sailed now?

I think you will most Health Insurance won't cover for pre existing conditions even with increased premiums.

Most medical insurance in the UK will cover “diabetes attacks” (I assume this is DKA and severe hypos) but not general management of your condition.
I find the NHS is generally pretty good. They fund insulin, meters, regular check ups including blood tests, funded Libre are becoming more common for Type 1 and, if necessary, insulin pumps.
What else do you want from medical insurance?

Hi Everyone, does anyone know if there is any medical Insurance available in the UK for diabetics or has that boat sailed now?

Do you mean private health insurance, or are you talking about something like life assurance?
If it’s health, you should find your consultant and hospital diabetes department sufficient. The DSNs are highly trained and very helpful.

Do you mean private health insurance, or are you talking about something like life assurance?
If it’s health, you should find your consultant and hospital diabetes department sufficient. The DSNs are highly trained and very helpful.
Yes you are right! I googled my way in circles. The consultant and Diabetes nurse were amazing this afternoon

Might be 'Permanent Health Insurance' which some mortgage lenders used to request before lending money, dunno if they still do or not.

@Mr Dog - What do you want the insurance you're talking about to do? Medical insurance has a definition, but folks use the phrase for many things.

I am happy with the NHS in the UK, and even though I have reversed mine I have declared the condition on my annual travel insurance policy to avoid any confusion with any diabetes related complications, such as coronary issues etc, and I'm covered worldwide now for a relatively small premium surcharge.
(Having said that, I don't believe I have any issues, the policy is mainly for unexpected accidents, delays, and sports injuries, and then hopefully not those either)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back