Medical id bracelet or chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popglobe2022

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Help anyone? I have had type 1 for 37 years and have always had a silver bracelet with my name and diabetic on it. Never really thought more of it, but recently it occurred to me I should specify type 1 and on insulin.
What do other people have? Should I use Medical Alert? I don’t want something that has warning sirens on it or lights up in the dark, but probably something sterling silver (I have allergies to some metals) and unobtrusive but can be found…if I collapse or have a hypo, bracelet or necklace etc.

just interested what anyone else does. I know phones can have emergency stuff on it, but my wife swipes mine from time to time and vice versa, so that’s not very reliable.

Thanks.

We got one from Ice ID I think they were called, it allowed 4 lines of text so we had daughter’s name, type 1 diabetes on a pump, and my mobile number as the contact. We’ve also got from Amazon a set of cards, two credit card sized and two key ring ones, that you can write any information that you want on, then keep them in your wallet or with your keys or on bag zips. Just google “medical ID” or something like that and it will bring up loads of options. There are many different designs too. I was put off MedicAlert because of the subscription, if you are found in an incoherent state all that matters is that you have something that tells a passer by what the problem might be and they can phone an ambulance and tell them if necessary.

Thanks for that. I have some cards etc for my wallet, but don’t always take it out with me nowadays that you can pay for everything on a phone.
the main reason for asking is if you Google as you said, loads of different things come up and it’s knowing which is a good one to use. Medical alert seems to be the one people know. I kind of just want something people will look at if anything happens but doesnt mean I am going around with Type 1 tattooed to my head if you get where I am coming from.
As I said, I have used my own bracelet with diabetic on it for a long time, but there are so many people with type 2 nowadays that I think I probably need a bit more now And perhaps specify the type of insulin I am on? Don’t know really so just asking what everyone else does.

cheers.

I bought a really nice chain bracelet from Etsy with the medical alert symbol on a heart pendant/charm and Type 1 on it. I wanted something that looked pretty if i had to wear it often. I chose only to have Type 1 on it as all the other information is on the emergency section of my phone.

@Popglobe2022 I’ve had a MedicAlert bracelet since diagnosis. I find their service very good. As well as the ID, they also keep more detailed info and records of your next of kin, etc.

Thanks. What kind of quality are their bracelets? Do you get a choice of engraving styles?
i think I just need to take the leap and get something soon.

Thanks. What kind of quality are their bracelets? Do you get a choice of engraving styles?
i think I just need to take the leap and get something soon.

Very good quality IMO. I’ve always had stainless steel ones and they last extremely well (I wear mine 24hrs a day, 7 days a week and I’m very active). My friend has a gold one and they have silver too plus a variety of other styles:

https://www.medicalert.org.uk/collections/

You get what you pay for, and I find MedicAlert excellent. It’s also instantly recognisable by medics here and abroad. I’ve phoned them a few times and found their customer service very good and very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back