Medical excemption & NHS app.

Redvee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Most of us in the England should have a medical excemption card/certificate from Newcastle but do we keep it on us when collecting our meds? I don't and I'm just asked at the pharmacy if I have medical excemption with no further questioning.
Is there a way of linking the excemeption to the NHS app so it's with you 24/7 and you can easily see the expiry date. My last one expired and allegedly I had a letter sent to me notifying it was renewal time, I didn't have no letter and my GP gave me the runaround renewing it saying I needed to see a GP but in the end I spoke to the nurse doing my review and she gave me a form to fill out and it was checked by a GP and available for me to send off 2 days later.

Most of us in the England should have a medical excemption card/certificate from Newcastle but do we keep it on us when collecting our meds?
I do. I agree it ought to be possible to store it in some way on the NHS app (or in Apple/Google wallets) but I fear it's not that kind of thing yet. As far as I'm aware it's literally a plastic card with printing on it whereas credit cards, loyalty cards, etc., all have NFC or QR codes or similar. Actually, aren't there plans to change the plastic card back to paper (which is even more annoying) or am I misremembering?

Most of us in the England should have a medical excemption card/certificate from Newcastle
Like Bruce, I wish there was a way to link the card to our NHS app but this does not seem to be possible.
However, I am a little pedantic at times so wanted to mention that
- medical exemption certificates are only available for people who have diabetes that is treated with medication. Those treating it through diet will have to pay for any other medication.
- I am not sure what you mean by the certificate/card being available form Newcastle. I have paid no attention to the address where it comes from and wonder if is regional.

Before covid, my pharmacist would write the id number from my card into their records to confirm that they had seen it. While they have not asked for a few years, it would not surprise me if they suddenly decided to ask again as I believe they could be out of pocket if they do not charge when they should.

I keep my exemption card in my wallet, which always used to mean I had it with me whenever I went out - though less so these days, of course, now that a phone is all I need for most transactions! 😱

Having said that I always get my prescriptions sent to the same pharmacy, and they know me pretty well there!

Like Bruce, I wish there was a way to link the card to our NHS app but this does not seem to be possible.
However, I am a little pedantic at times so wanted to mention that
- medical exemption certificates are only available for people who have diabetes that is treated with medication. Those treating it through diet will have to pay for any other medication.
- I am not sure what you mean by the certificate/card being available form Newcastle. I have paid no attention to the address where it comes from and wonder if is regional.

Before covid, my pharmacist would write the id number from my card into their records to confirm that they had seen it. While they have not asked for a few years, it would not surprise me if they suddenly decided to ask again as I believe they could be out of pocket if they do not charge when they should.
Medexs for the whole of england come from newcastle. I doubt they will go to paper...all the other certs went to paper but the medex was left as plastic as it has to last 5 years

I just got mine last week and its a plastic card.

I am getting my meds delivered so the pharmacy has a record of my number on my notes.
But I did give my hubby my card to pick up some antibiotics from Asda, but he can’t remember if they wrote my number down.

Medexs for the whole of england come from newcastle. I doubt they will go to paper...all the other certs went to paper but the medex was left as plastic as it has to last 5 years
They may start offering it by email as am alternative to plastic though

Most of us in the England should have a medical excemption card/certificate from Newcastle but do we keep it on us when collecting our meds?
You don’t need to carry it. If you’re asked for it you can show it online. My pharmacy just look me up to check it’s valid themselves and print on the label that it’s been checked as exempt.

Here is where you or your pharmacy can check if you have a valid exemption, no need to carry the card

When I was diagnosed I lived in Kidderminster and had to ring the county Medical Officer's office to get a form which they posted to me, then I had to fill my bit in then take it to me GP surgery for them to fill in and sign, then I had to collect it from their reception then I had to post it back to Worcester for them to post my certificate back. What a ruddy palaver, but no bad thing in my view making ME absolutely responsible for MY medication requirements from Day approx 10 or thereabouts.

I had to go to GP for form, fill in my bit then hand it back to be signed, they sent it off

I was really lucky that my DN had filled in the form at my first appointment and all I had to do was sign it and then they sent it off for me and my exemption card arrived in the post. I got a letter about my renewal being due a few months before it expired but I was turning 60 about 10 days after the expiry, so I didn't bother as I didn't need any medication during that short period.

I have never applied for one and my pharmacy have never asked for one. They are just happy to accept it. I suppose I should get one though, in case I need it.

I have never applied for one and my pharmacy have never asked for one. They are just happy to accept it. I suppose I should get one though, in case I need it.
If you don’t have a medical exemption card you must not tick the box on the prescription that says you do, and you must not let the pharmacy tick it either. You will be fined once they realise. A friend has recently been fined plus charged for all the prescriptions because they let theirs expire, it’s a significant sum.

I suppose I should get one though, in case I need it.
Yes, you certainly should (if you live in England). It'll likely just take a few minutes (ignoring the time to travel to your GP surgery): ask your GP receptionist for the form, fill it in, hand it back to them. Your GP will then check it, fill in whatever they need to, sign it and send it off.

Last edited:
Back