Medical device alert: Accu-Chek® Insight Insulin pump system: risk of over- or under-infusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Accu-Chek® Insight Insulin pump system: risk of over- or under-infusion of insulin

Manufactured by Roche Diabetes Care - inadequately detailed handling instructions of the 'Key Lock' function of the pump may lead to unintentional operation, which could result in rapid and severe deterioration of health e.g. hypoglycaemia or diabetic ketoacidosis.

Update: First published.

For further information on this published alert:

https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-alerts/accu-chek-insight-insulin-pump-system-risk-of-over-or-under-infusion-of-insulin

I've never used the key lock function, and in 8 years have never given myself an unintended bolus, as the key combination is quite complex. Is this something many people use?

We always have the key lock on on the Combo, although to be honest I don't think it's strictly necessary! We just set it up at the very beginning because daughter was only 6 at the time and we were a bit worried about other children poking at the pump. They are probably past that stage now, but out of habit I just set it up on the new one anyway! No idea how it compares to the Insight though.

Interestingly we have just been for 3 month check up today and happened to see the lead consultant. She said out of four families she knows who have had the Insight pump, one is on their fourth handset within a year, and the other three all gave them back! And she said she gets fed up with all these advisory notices too. Not a fan then o_O

The more I read the more I am tempted just to stick to Combo. I don't have to decide until January, but I have not seen anything yet that will tempt me away from this. I know some are able to link with a CGM, but that is out of my price range, and I feel lucky to have even got a pump.

Accu-Chek® Insight Insulin pump system: risk of over- or under-infusion of insulin

Manufactured by Roche Diabetes Care - inadequately detailed handling instructions of the 'Key Lock' function of the pump may lead to unintentional operation, which could result in rapid and severe deterioration of health e.g. hypoglycaemia or diabetic ketoacidosis.

Update: First published.

For further information on this published alert:

https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-alerts/accu-chek-insight-insulin-pump-system-risk-of-over-or-under-infusion-of-insulin
Has everyone seen this ? 🙂

Seems odd to issue a medical device alert over this. The situation is the same with the MM640G on which you CANNOT turn off the key lock (cue much muttering while multiple key-pressing for every single pump interaction). Perhaps the difference is that you have to switch the quick-bolus function ON on the 640G, it isn't enabled by default.

Makes me wonder if someone had an unfortunate incident. TBH, from the summary of the report I'm not really sure how this could cause hyperglycaemia, so perhaps I'm missing something?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back