Medical device alert: Accu-Chek® Insight insulin pump system – risk of hyperglycaemia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Accu-Chek® Insight insulin pump system manufactured by Roche Diabetes Care with NovoRapid® PumpCart® cartridges – risk of hyperglycaemia
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
Published:
15 August 2016
Issued:
15 August 2016
Alert type:
Medical device alert
Cartridges inserted incorrectly can leak insulin into the cartridge compartment, resulting in an under-delivery of insulin, which may lead to rapid deterioration of health, diabetic ketoacidosis or death.

https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-aler...id-pumpcart-cartridges-risk-of-hyperglycaemia

all the more reason for testing!

Don't put the cartridges in incorrectly then...🙄
Anything can go wrong if you aren't paying attention or don't do it right!

On our holiday we had fish and chips one night, daughter ate rather more chips than anticipated, followed by chocolate for pudding, so we weren't expecting her BGs to be particularly well behaved, but they kept going up and up and eventually went off the scale on the Libre 😱😱
At which point she said she thought she knew why and showed me her cannula, the sticky was peeling up and the tube half hanging out, so quite likely none of the bolus went in. Oops...
So it was new cannula in quickly, connect pump, whack some insulin in, was a bit of guesswork how much though so then just keep monitoring and correcting until BG comes down again, problem solved!

Sounds quite serious ? 😳 Hope no one comes to any harm 🙂

They're not having much success with this Insight pump are they?

In theory I should be getting a replacement for my Combo, nearly 4 years old, but I'm very unsure about the Insight. I was told by someone (?) that Roche were going to replace all the Combos with Insights eventually.
The other thing is that I am currently using Apidra wheras the cartridges contain Novorapid so I'm not sure what will happen.

They are carrying on making Combos as well for the time being, presumably because of all the problems with the Insight. We've just got a new Combo to replace the first one. It's fab because it's exactly the same so we already know how it works and don't need any extra training, just did a straight swap!

They're not having much success with this Insight pump are they?

In theory I should be getting a replacement for my Combo, nearly 4 years old, but I'm very unsure about the Insight. I was told by someone (?) that Roche were going to replace all the Combos with Insights eventually.
The other thing is that I am currently using Apidra wheras the cartridges contain Novorapid so I'm not sure what will happen.

Every time I've seen the Diabetes Nurse at my six monthly check ups, she's acted surprised when I have said I don't intend changing to Novorapid just because you can use it in pre filled cartridges with the Insight. She implies that both insulins are the same, whereas having used Novorapid when on MDI, I find they have quite different profiles. Since using Apidra my control improved so dramatically there's no way I would want to give that up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back