• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community

Medical alert suggestions

acridweasel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Over the years I have had various bracelets and necklace medical alert jewellery, but nothing that was particularly nice or easy to live with.
I have a parkrun wrist band that has an ICE number and a mention of my type 1 diabetes, but I can't wear it at work as I work in an area that cannot allow silicon as it can cause problems with circuit boards.
Does anyone have any suggestions of any unobtrusive, comfortable options?
Or even a nice design for a tattoo, as I'm open to that too!

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I'm interested to hear about silicon(e) and electronics assembly areas. I've worked in the electronics industry all my life and never heard of that one. Do you know the reason? I wear a silicone wrist band in the gym.

acridweasel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes, silicone not silicon. Autocorrect doing its thing!
It's to do with the static-generating risk of things like awareness wristbands. As I understand it the risk is small, but both aerospace companies I have worked for during the past 6 years have prohibited people wearing them.
I rarely enter EPAs, but there is a blanket ban in the building where I'm based.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A tattoo!!
I have seen others that have done this by the position of their wristwatch.

I have never worn an ID as I didn’t like the look of any of them, and reckon that the sensor and pump attached to me will be a good clue, along with a card in my phone case which states that I have T1. I asked paramedics and they confirmed that they would look at the phone first. I also have a statement in the Health app which is visible before the phone is unlocked.

At work I just make sure that they knew what to do if I passed out. But after the one soon after diagnosis this has not been an issue. I do check with new activities that there is someone there who knows what to do in an emergency.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I find my MedicAlert bracelet very unobtrusive. I wear it by my watch. There are various choices that you can have. Mine’s stainless steel. MedicAlert also hold all your additional details, speak 100 languages apparently, and have an excellent phone response service.

Don’t have a tattoo!! What will you do when they find the cure for Type 1? Stay optimistic :D

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does it have to be wearable? As there are keyrings available, I've never bothered as I've never really been out without someone that knows xx

acridweasel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A tattoo!!
I have seen others that have done this by the position of their wristwatch.

I have never worn an ID as I didn’t like the look of any of them, and reckon that the sensor and pump attached to me will be a good clue, along with a card in my phone case which states that I have T1. I asked paramedics and they confirmed that they would look at the phone first. I also have a statement in the Health app which is visible before the phone is unlocked.

At work I just make sure that they knew what to do if I passed out. But after the one soon after diagnosis this has not been an issue. I do check with new activities that there is someone there who knows what to do in an emergency.

Let us know what you decide to do.
I don't have a sensor as my healthcare team only issue them to people who have poor control of their bloods and I don't use a pump, so there's no outward indication that I'm diabetic other than my parkrun wristband.
My work colleagues know, so I'm OK in that regard.
My main concern is when I'm driving or when I'm cycling/running.

acridweasel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I find my MedicAlert bracelet very unobtrusive. I wear it by my watch. There are various choices that you can have. Mine’s stainless steel. MedicAlert also hold all your additional details, speak 100 languages apparently, and have an excellent phone response service.

Don’t have a tattoo!! What will you do when they find the cure for Type 1? Stay optimistic :D
Looking at MedicAlert now, I like the gold bracelet for £800!
They seem to have a lot more choices than when I last had one, so I might go with one of them.
I am generally optimistic, but I'm 41 now and I don't know if I'll see a cure in my lifetime. I very much hope to be proven wrong!

acridweasel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does it have to be wearable? As there are keyrings available, I've never bothered as I've never really been out without someone that knows xx
Wearable is the ideal, unless there are other suitable options.
I don't always have my keys with me, e.g. when I'm out running.
After 25 years of living with type 1, I often don't think to tell new people as it's so ingrained into my daily life. I also live on my own, so I'm very often not with anyone who knows me.

Burylancs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wearable is the ideal, unless there are other suitable options.
I don't always have my keys with me, e.g. when I'm out running.
After 25 years of living with type 1, I often don't think to tell new people as it's so ingrained into my daily life. I also live on my own, so I'm very often not with anyone who knows me.
Tattoos used to be suggested because they can change colour with high bgs, a warning about that- or it might have been low bgs.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don’t know how it happened but when I go to power off on my iPhone there are 3 options, slide to power off, sos and medical ID if you slide that it gives my details. I’m assuming medics are trained to use this. I had a Thomas sabo bracelet that was quite nice, they engrave with anything you want, bet they do men’s too

acridweasel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don’t know how it happened but when I go to power off on my iPhone there are 3 options, slide to power off, sos and medical ID if you slide that it gives my details. I’m assuming medics are trained to use this. I had a Thomas sabo bracelet that was quite nice, they engrave with anything you want, bet they do men’s too
Great idea on the phone.
I have an Android which lets you put owner information on the lock screen, so that's been added now thanks. :)

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This was pretty affordable though the website I got it from has folded.

1634485588580.jpeg

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My current one is a sort of plaited leather number

1619384308546.jpeg

I do know people who have gone for the full-forearm tattoo though! :eek:

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think it was from ‘the id band co’ (though it does have a metal clasp)

Loads of other designs on there.

Previously I have re-used the engraved metal thing from an earlier band and knotted one of those surfy wristbands in ‘cobra stitch’ out of waxed thread. Those were just permanently tied on with no clasp.